9.9hp Merc, Yam or Mariner????

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks

I am looking for opinions on 9.9HP outboards I went to buy one a couple of years back and got sweet talked into a 6HP yamaha in the shop which someone had dumped on him! Needless to say it just wasn't what I wanted and I have decided to swap it out this year.

So heresthe dilema I have run all of these outboards at different times and they have all been outstanding however I am favouring the Yamaha which is a good chunk more expensive and trying to justify it with some difficulty. has anyone out there run any of these four strokes and hav any strong opinions?

Thanks

Rob

andrewt12

Cadet
Re: 9.9hp Merc, Yam or Mariner????

i bought a yamaha 8hp fourstroke on friday and i LOVE it, a 2012, if the dealer hasen't showed you theres a flushing system on it , but i love my motor and its defently worth the extra money!! perfect on my inflatable boat, and very very quiet , no vibration and LOTS of power, takes two hours to break in but after that its perfect

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As far as I know, all 3 are basically the same engine with different paint, badging. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Yammaha makes the 4-strokes for Mercury/Mariner. up to the Verado's

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Wrong, Yam is Yam, Merc, Mariner are same rebadged Tohatsu's..

Happy Boating

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So which Mercs are the Yanaha's??

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

So which Mercs are the Yanaha's??
If a Mariner is a Merc in your mind,then there is alot of 60hp and below 2 strokes that are Yamaha made,I think somewhere from 74-1992.
Earlier when 4 strokes were first coming out,I think they were working together on powerheads as well.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have used them all, go Yamaha and don't look back.

Actually they all perform OK, but the Yamaha is a step above the others.

How do you plan to use it?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have been running a Canadian made 9.9 1996 mariner and other than a few PO created problems its ran flawless. However I am on a 9.9 lake and it has a mixed bag of 9.9`s and I haven't heard many actual problems with any of them other that owner stupidity with neglected maintance and fuel systems.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Previous years 9.9, 15, 25 Mercs wera manufactured by Yamaha. Are the ones that have throttle cable the newer (Tohastsu) 9.9,15,18,25 have throttle rods.

Happy Boating

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry it's taken a while but thanks guys ended up with a Mariner as I got a great deal on a 2 year old one and it superb. The Yamaha was just too much money to justify for a tender.