87 ski centurion prop shaft problem

nayr_one

Recruit
i have recently bought a boat its an 87 ski centurion im not to sure what model it looks pretty standard like a trutrac ii but it doesnt have the bulges on the side of the hull. im a seasoned mechanic so the labor is no big deal. I have since found that i need a prop shaft. install looks simple, purchasing the parts not so much. i need to know the prop shaft dimensions as i cant measure mine being that the part that bolts it to the trans has broken fasteners and wont come off and the shaft is going to need to be cut, i dont want to remove it until i have the parts to replace it... the boat drives ok as is but the vibration is going to drive me crazy. if you guys have any info on the size as well as a reputable place to buy one that would be great. Im also going to replace the prop and all the hardware so if there is a place that sells a kit that would be nice.

also sorry i posted this in another section before i found this sweet prop forum... sorry im a noob.

86 century

Ensign
Re: 87 ski centurion prop shaft problem

This may get taken down.
try discount inboard marine they have been a big help to me.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your experiencing vibration it may just be the alignment with the motor.
If you replace the shaft you'll have to do it anyway.
I'm not saying this is the only way to do it. The only boats I've done it to were over 50 years old.
With the prop flange un hooked you use a feeler gauge to align the transmission flange with prop shaft flange
by aligning the motor.

nayr_one

Recruit

i got the flange unhooked and when i spin the prop i can phyically see the shaft is bent... honestly i just need to know the length of this thing lol.

nayr_one

Recruit

Got it on the water today... Vibration is bad so that is gonna get fixed this week but more importantly its smokes out of the valve cover breathers, any ideas?