New Motor Issues????

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just finished connecting my new rebuilt motor. Its a 165 inline 6 with an alpha one gen1 housing and drive. I had a bunch of snags during the install because of I also upgraded the housing and inner transom plate, however finally was able to get her in. So heres the issues I am now faced with:

1. Tried to turn the key and nothing. It seems like the wiring on the starter is either wired wrong or I have a wire cut somewhere. Is there a way I can test the wiring? I was able to jump the starter to get her running. I wired the starter same way when I disconnected the blown motor.
STARTER WIRING.jpg

2. Once running, I have a grinding noise from the back of the motor. It sounds like there is something hitting tin, almost as if the starter is getting hung up and not disengaging. I am not sure if this is possible, but my first step is to pull the starter. I have a brand new coupler installed, new gimbal bearing, new outdrive shaft and u-joints. The flywheel is original, but the flywheel cover is new since I needed to upgrade due to the mounts being different on the transom plate. Any ideas what this could be?

On a good note, the motor itself ran great with perfect compression and oil pressure.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New Motor Issues????

Ayuh,... #2,... Is the flywheel rubbin' on the new cover,..??

medan

Recruit

test the key switch with a multi meter some have a safty device like a lanyard maybe its not connected or bad I use the tone setting on my meter for switch on and engage starter motor poles on switch hook to main hot in on switch then on pole and then starter pole if all is good try to see if you your main hot has voltage if thats fine you have a wire to replace

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... #2,... Is the flywheel rubbin' on the new cover,..??
It definately sounds like it, but do not see how this would be possible since i did turn the motor over prior to install. Is there a way i can check this withought pulling the motor again?