First boat..First post :)

Koops186

Cadet
So. Purchased one 1974 Larson All American 186 Bow Rider with Mercruiser 302 and Merc 888 outdrive. Boat is exceptionally maintained, and in tip top condition. Dropped the lower portion of the outdrive to service the water impeller and housing. Used Mercrusier parts. Went to re-install the l/u and am unable to fully "engage" the portion again to the upper outdrive. Gear selector was in fwd when I lowered the l/u to perform service. I have since manually rotated the gear/range selector to neutral and the hand gearshift to neutral as well. What am I missing. Thank you in advance for your help.

cr2k

Captain
Re: First boat..First post :)

try turning the vertical drive shaft a little to engage the splines. You can either use the prop or channel locks on the shaft.

Bondo

Staff member

So. Purchased one 1974 Larson All American 186 Bow Rider with Mercruiser 302 and Merc 888 outdrive. Boat is exceptionally maintained, and in tip top condition. Dropped the lower portion of the outdrive to service the water impeller and housing. Used Mercrusier parts. Went to re-install the l/u and am unable to fully "engage" the portion again to the upper outdrive. Gear selector was in fwd when I lowered the l/u to perform service. I have since manually rotated the gear/range selector to neutral and the hand gearshift to neutral as well. What am I missing. Thank you in advance for your help.

Ayuh,... Put everything back into Forward gear, then reinstall it...

Koops186

Cadet

Well..I suppose working in the dark was NOT helping my endeavor. I will return to my task shortly. I will employ the advice administered. Will update my progress...or lack therof. Good day, all.

Bondo

Staff member

Well..I suppose working in the dark was NOT helping my endeavor. I will return to my task shortly. I will employ the advice administered. Will update my progress...or lack therof. Good day, all.

Ayuh,... If the lower don't wanta stay in forward for ya, use a bungee strap around the propshaft to hold tension on forward gear...

Koops186

Cadet

Jackpot. Got the l/u reinstalled. Oil in. Just had to "adjust my angle" and lie under the upper portion so as to be able to view alignment of the driveshaft and water tube. Gear shift was in forward as was the l/u range selector. Success. Some more fiddling and o.c.d satisfying checks...and the family will be cruising the glass. Good night all.