YEAHHHH my FIRST boat!

SeaJack

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

so i finally got my first boat and first summer on the water.
anxious to spend a nice summer with the family and friends on the water ;)

Currently learning to dock the boat at the marina...challenging :)
all tips and tricks are appreciated.

Attachments

• photo_small.jpg
    photo_small.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: YEAHHHH my FIRST boat!

Arrgghh. More details! Your pics aren't showing for me.

Congrats, nonetheless!

P.S. We bought our first boat this week too!

My seller and new friend told me that slow is good when learning, listen to locals, and go out on non-busy days to practice.

Good luck!

SeaJack

Seaman Apprentice

hi,

ok sorry didnt think anyone would be interested but great to see your are:

Thundercraft 1987
Magnum express
25 ft
Mercruiser V8 260 HP
in really good shape, has 2 tops, little kitchen, washroom, electric anchor.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quite a boat for a first one! Does it have a full galley? Aft cabin under the rear deck? Are you keeping it in a slip at a Marina or towing it home and from place to place?

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmmm....first boat ever???...wow...really jumping in there...people talk about footitis ...forever wanting a bigger boat..
where will you go from here next??/:D:D:eek: congrats...Looks very nice...

Taylor31

Cadet

Congratulations!!! Nice looking boat!

We just bought our first one today...looks like you started a trend :)

We too will be going out with the seller to learn from his experience with the boat. Not looking forward to what I am certain will be an ugly first experience getting it into the slip.

Enjoy your summer on the water!

SeaJack

Seaman Apprentice

Quite a boat for a first one! Does it have a full galley? Aft cabin under the rear deck? Are you keeping it in a slip at a Marina or towing it home and from place to place?

Yes it has a little room with 2 windows, and a mini closet behind the rear deck. Keeping it at a slip a the Marina. Been learning the docking process.

i keep saying "I hope no one is looking, please no wind please no wind :) "

SeaJack

Seaman Apprentice

hmmmm....first boat ever???...wow...really jumping in there...people talk about footitis ...forever wanting a bigger boat..
where will you go from here next??/:D:D:eek: congrats...Looks very nice...

well probably take me a couple years to master every foot on this boat, then will worry about the next feet :) Thank you.

SeaJack

Seaman Apprentice

Congratulations!!! Nice looking boat!

We just bought our first one today...looks like you started a trend :)

We too will be going out with the seller to learn from his experience with the boat. Not looking forward to what I am certain will be an ugly first experience getting it into the slip.

Enjoy your summer on the water!

what did you get? any pics?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats SeaJack!

Congrats on the new boat you definitely jumped in with both feet! :) Best bits of docking advice I can give is never go faster than you want to hit it and that wind can help if it's blowing in the right direction.

SeaJack

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to iboats SeaJack!

Congrats on the new boat you definitely jumped in with both feet! :) Best bits of docking advice I can give is never go faster than you want to hit it and that wind can help if it's blowing in the right direction.

Yes you are absolutely right about the speed and as for h wind....well it helps when in the right dircection.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If docking is a challenge, get someone with lots of experience to show you how to do it. I don't know any experienced boaters that would not be flattered if someone asked them to provide on-board docking instruction. Since you are in a marina, finding someone should be a piece of cake. Be sure to have a gift to give (bottle of booze will likely be appreciated in a typical marina...) for the help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on your new boat. I'd love to have an aft-cabin cruiser in that size range. Yours appears to be in immaculate condition for it's age.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Nice first boat, it took me 5 boats to work up to this size, but yeah, the Magnum Expresses are great machines. Guessing by the registration numbers that you boat in Quebec. Hope to see more pics and enjoy!

ctown

Cadet

Hello
me and my wife are looking for our first boat and thats the exact size we are looking for. How many many people ca fit on it?
how much does it cost to fill up?
how much is your average day on the water costing you in fuel?
what type of stuff do you do on it?
how many can sleep on it?
is it hard to drive?
any information you can give me would be great
thank you
ctown

jkust

Rear Admiral

Looks nice for that vintage. Go ahead and fill out your profile so we can tell where you are. I'm presuming you are on bigger water and if that's the case the boat lengths just matches the body of water so likely just the right size.
There's some good books out there for first time boaters that give you a lot of the tips and tricks. Boating for Dumbies if you ignore the sailing section has a lot of dock approach procedures.

etracer68

Ensign

With a single screw, it can be a bit tricky, depending on wind. I would, (when my dad had a 24ft single screw) get the bow in first, then power the stern in. If your backing in, maybe power the stern in, and get a spring line, or mid ship line looped around a dock cleat first.