Mercuriser 170 hp 3.7 liter exhaust boots

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mercruiser 3.7 liter 170hp 4 cylinder. On the inside of the motor on the exhaust theres rubber that connects the pipes. it goes from a four to a three inch. not sure the exact diameter.What cause those to burn or go bad. mines got a hole in it and looks burnt on the inside. this is what mine looks like.0.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercuriser 170 hp 3.7 liter exhaust boots

Poor/no water flow causes the burning. When was the last time the impeller in the drive was replaced?

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just did it this year. How do I find out on a closed cooling system if the impeller is sucking up the rar water. And if its not what cause that problem

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased the boat a few months ago and found that the impeller was completely shot, I changed it, but i'm not sure if the damage to the boot was done prior to me changing it, i'm assuming that is the case; However, on the off chance that it isn't, is there anything else that could have caused the damage to the exhaust boot? does it matter what way the rubber fins are turned when its installed ?

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser exhaust boot 170hp 3.7 4 cylinderI purchased the boat a few months ago and

Mercruiser exhaust boot 170hp 3.7 4 cylinderI purchased the boat a few months ago and

I purchased the boat a few months ago and found that the impeller was completely shot, I changed it, but i'm not sure if the damage to the boot was done prior to me changing it, i'm assuming that is the case; However, on the off chance that it isn't, is there anything else that could have caused the damage to the exhaust boot? does it matter what way the rubber fins are turned when its installed on the impeller? I have a mercruiser 3.7 liter 170hp 4 cylinder. On the inside of the motor on the exhaust theres rubber that connects the pipes. it goes from a four to a three inch. not sure the exact diameter.What cause those to burn or go bad. mines got a hole in it and looks burnt on the inside. this is what mine looks like.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser exhaust boot 170hp 3.7 4 cylinderI purchased the boat a few months ago

Re: Mercruiser exhaust boot 170hp 3.7 4 cylinderI purchased the boat a few months ago

I merged your two threads on the same subject together, please don't post the same question multiple times.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If your old impeller had fins missing they are probably in the heat exchanger where they can block the raw water tubes. Pop the end caps off and take a look (don't worry only water in there the coolant will not come out). When you install the impeller turn the shaft clockwise, and the impeller will be correct.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I merged your two threads on the same subject together, please don't post the same question multiple times.
so if i already put the outdrive back together and filled up. do i need to pull it back off and start over

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had to have my heat exchanger fixed and plugged two tubes. they did a presure test and it was fine.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

so if i already put the outdrive back together and filled up. do i need to pull it back off and start over

If you think you put the impeller in wrong it would probably be wise to do so.