Johnson lacks power after initial acceleration - 1989 - Pull Start - 2 Stroke - 40 HP

richuk09

Recruit
Hi all,

I have a Johnson 1989 2 stroke pull start outboard engine. Has a slight problem which I hope someone can help me with?

The engine starts 1st pull every time and runs very well on idle. The problem I'm having is when I accelerate on full throttle the engine gets to full speed and my boats planes. This lasts for 2 - 3 seconds and then decreases to half power if that.

Haven't got a clue what's going on. Seems a bit strange as I hits full power well then starts to slow down.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's very frustrating!!!!

Thanks in advance

Richard

richuk09

Recruit
Re: Johnson lacks power after initial acceleration - 1989 - Pull Start - 2 Stroke - 4

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

THANKS

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson lacks power after initial acceleration - 1989 - Pull Start - 2 Stroke - 4

Does it help if you pump the primer bulb when it slows down?
Might have a restriction in the high speed jet not letting it get the proper fuel for high speed operation.
Have you ever serviced the carb?

richuk09

Recruit

Does it help if you pump the primer bulb when it slows down?
Might have a restriction in the high speed jet not letting it get the proper fuel for high speed operation.
Have you ever serviced the carb?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!! I havent tried the primer whilst driving. Does this help? The carb was serviced a long time ago!! Could be 5 years or so. Does it need a good clean?

Thanks

Rich

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

By pumping the primer bulb you bypass the fuel pump, if that fixes the problem, you need to check the fuel pump for flow and pressure.
You could also have a restriction in the high speed jet that you would check and clean when you overhaul the carb.

richuk09

Recruit

By pumping the primer bulb you bypass the fuel pump, if that fixes the problem, you need to check the fuel pump for flow and pressure.
You could also have a restriction in the high speed jet that you would check and clean when you overhaul the carb.

Hi,

thanks!!

After checking, my lower cyclinder doesnt seen to be sparking as good as the top one. Could this b a factor?

Cheers

richuk09

Recruit

Hi,

Any more information would be great.

Thanks

Rich