Connecting Trim Limit Switch to Trim Pump

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
1984 Mariner 70hp outboard. I'm trying to figure out where the Trim Limit Switch wires should plug up. The previous owner had cut off all connections and plugs for the trim pump, so I don't know how to hook the limit switch up to it.

From the motor, on the left had side of one of the cylinders, there is the limit switch. It has two wires coming from it; a white one and a black on. At the trim pump, the PO had cut off the harness so I have a blue wire, a green wire, and a purple wire connected directly to the solenoids/power pole. These wires run up to my trim switch at the helm.

All of this works just fine. I simple need to figure out how to incorporate the trim limit switch into the fray.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Connecting Trim Limit Switch to Trim Pump

No ideas at all?

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Connecting Trim Limit Switch to Trim Pump

I had to go pick up some parts from the marine shop just down the road and while I was there I got to talking with the service manager. He didn't think my motor had a trim limit switch and thought it was most likely my trim sending unit. He said to connect black to the ground and white to the trim gauge... so I did that.

I think it might be a simple mercury switch or something because the gauge will sit at "down" until it is trimmed to a certain point, in which it jumps all the way to "up". There is no "in between". Any ideas on this?