1994 fountain lightning 35' whats it worth

butchmotors

Seaman Apprentice
Ive ben looking at a few fountains. I found one that Im interested in.Im trying to get an idea of what this thing is worth. It has twin 502s efis about 380 hours, interior is a little rough needing new vinyle on the engine hatches and rear seats.. Overal the interior is prolly a four
and one of the drop down bolsters dont work.anybody have any idea what this boat in this shape is woth?

butchmotors

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1994 fountain lightning 35' whats it worth

The hull is in excelent shape no damage at all but ther is also no graphics..its all white

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NADA trade in value minus whatever everything will cost to get it back to ship shape. Buyers market, I'd actually walk away, you can buy mint condition, low hour boats all day for NADA trade in value. If my boat didn't run and look so good for a 1998 I'd be buying a newer 1 just to move up 2 feet.

Mr. Demeanor

iboats.com Partner

Get a good survey done that includes a moisture test. As a previous and current Fountain owner, these boats have a lot of wood in their construction. Make sure the transom and stringers in particular are solid and dry.

butchmotors

Seaman Apprentice

Get a good survey done that includes a moisture test. As a previous and current Fountain owner, these boats have a lot of wood in their construction. Make sure the transom and stringers in particular are solid and dry.
Who would do a moisture test... Just wondering how long would a boat like this to get on plane seing that it has stock 502s in it? cruising speed? top speed?

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

you can usually judge the service and maintence on the motor(s) by the care given to other items . Are there any recipts or paperwork confirming what has been done? :confused:
Was it stored under a cover or left sitting out uncovered rotting? :mad::facepalm:
A proud owner will tell you every detail.
Do you have the budget to repair whats bad ?
At least have a survey and a mechanic check it out before you put good money on it.
Check around and see what simular boats are going for.
Take you time and good luck!

Philster

Captain

You could blow through 20 g's on repairs and maintenance on something like that. There is nothing wrong with that; it is good for the economy.

The only answer is to get a thorough, professional surveyor that you hire. There is no other way around it. It's too big with seriously expensive mechanicals.

Hit me up via PM and I can refer you to some websites that are filled w/ Fountain fanatics, which includes people that built them.

Time to plane for big boat is ~ 7-10 seconds.

Top speed is probably about low 70's with stock 502 engines (which pump out 375 or 415hp). Twin 525 HP EFI engines would be good for 80 +/-.

A boat like that doesn't get you pure speed; it get's you offshore speed. The idea is to run 55 MPH over waves that others would struggle to run 30 MPH over. To tirelessly pound away over offshore waves is what it's good for and not much else. The average use for a boat like that is probably 4-5 outings per summer, and about 4-5 trips to the shop, usually in between each outing. That's how, in all practicality, they are used.

jestor68

Commander

Average is $25,900. Work from there. Fountains aren't cheap.

If ya want a Fountain, be prepared to pay for one. Half the price is the name.:cool:

It's not like you're lookin at a checkmate.

butchmotors

Seaman Apprentice

Average is $25,900. Work from there. Fountains aren't cheap.

If ya want a Fountain, be prepared to pay for one. Half the price is the name.:cool:

It's not like you're lookin at a checkmate.

I seen that the nada average retail is 25k. Is that a joke or somthing.I cant find a fountain in america over 30ft for nowhere even in that ballpark. With some boats its pretty close but with fountain its hilarious average retail price 25k , recomended retail.145k . What is that ?

butchmotors

Seaman Apprentice

You could blow through 20 g's on repairs and maintenance on something like that. There is nothing wrong with that; it is good for the economy.

The only answer is to get a thorough, professional surveyor that you hire. There is no other way around it. It's too big with seriously expensive mechanicals.

Hit me up via PM and I can refer you to some websites that are filled w/ Fountain fanatics, which includes people that built them.

Time to plane for big boat is ~ 7-10 seconds.

Top speed is probably about low 70's with stock 502 engines (which pump out 375 or 415hp). Twin 525 HP EFI engines would be good for 80 +/-.

A boat like that doesn't get you pure speed; it get's you offshore speed. The idea is to run 55 MPH over waves that others would struggle to run 30 MPH over. To tirelessly pound away over offshore waves is what it's good for and not much else. The average use for a boat like that is probably 4-5 outings per summer, and about 4-5 trips to the shop, usually in between each outing. That's how, in all practicality, they are used.

This boat will be sitting in the river and get used way more that 4-5 times a yea r.Im my own mechanic so parts is all I have to pay for.I put 120 hours on my current boat last year..I am looking to be able to pound some waves tho,,,Im on lake ontario and it is unpredictable. I want to be able to cruze to the islands in comfort and not worry about the lake picking up so that would be a huge kicker