1983 Ebbtide seats

r_marczak_83

Cadet
My Ebbtide Catalina boat seats that sit in the middle (I call them back to back seats or driver and passanger) are in bad shape and the wood is falling appart. I cannot find any that are similar in size. They are a strange design. The seat that is back to the front one is smaller. All the new ones are the same front to back. Any suggestions?

r_marczak_83

Cadet
Re: 1983 Ebbtide seats

Should I just go with singles? The back to backs are 5" longer than what I have now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're handy, I'd say to take them apart and try to rebuild them. If you have some basic tools and the willingness to try and learn you'll get lot's of help here on the forum. Post some pics so we can SEE what you're working with.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the Foam is still usable, you should be able to unstitch the covers and use them as patterns for the new vinyl and the frames should be able to be remade from ext. grade plywood and coat em with epoxy. I'm bettin you could remake em.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have a differing opinion. I think pre-made boat seats are a pretty good deal considering what you get and it's very difficult to do your own upholstery and have it look pro. The new ones also generally have plastic bases that won't ever rot.

r_marczak_83

Cadet

The original ones also have metal parts and springs (to let seats be adjustable) that are broke as well. I think remaking would take a great deal of effort. However, there are no pre made seats my size. So I am kind of stuck.

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

Although I'm very handy (with tools and a sewing machine) and willing to tackle almost any challenge, my friend the upholsterer says, beyond replacing broken hardware, re-stitching a seam, etc, buying new seats is cheaper than trying to rebuild old ones. True you have some odd seats but surely you could find some back to back loungers that would fit or convert to single buckets. Matching the other old seats is another story...sometimes its a slippery slope. Eventually you have a new interior that is likely worth more than the boat.

r_marczak_83

Cadet

The seats are 36" from front cushion to back cushion. I can go up to 37", but thats about all the room I will have.