Fiberglass prop question

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just acquired a 9.9HP Sears Gamefisher, vintage '84 (I think).

Model: 225.581998
Serial: OE128531

It has a fiberglass 3-blade prop. I have *ZERO* experience with fiberglass props. Seems to me that the 'pro' that would allow it to flex a bit if it struck an obstacle, would become a 'con' if it tended to flatted out/loose pitch at WOT.

Anything you got could prove helpful.
Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fiberglass prop question

You are not talking about high performance and the polymer props basically self destruct when they strike something. If you are that concerned then get an aluminum prop and keep that one as a spare.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usually referred to as a composite prop.They work ok for the application. If you strike something it will very likely break.
So you may want to find a spare. i believe the 225 makes it a Chrysler or Force motor possibly a Merc.
The Chrysler Or Force will very likely be the same prop.
Finding a new prop may be a trick.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have a composite prop on my 7.5 Gamefisher (detuned 9.9) and it works just fine. They are expensive props as I've seen new ones on flEbay for $80-90. I haven't seen many good used ones as they are usually all banged up, though aluminum ones pop up every now and then. I've been running mine for 5 years and it still looks perfect, but I'm not running around in stump infested lakes.