2000 Johnson 115hp spark comes and goes

Rickhoward

Recruit
I have 2000 johnson 115hp JHSVLSSS, it lost spark, when through it and found a green wire that wasn't pluged together all the way, plugged it together good and had spark, cranked right up... ran fine for a couple weeks, took it to the ramp the other day, wouldn't start, no spark..... checked connections, no help... but now it has spark... don't know why... someone is telling me that the POWER PACK is bad... is this possible?

thanks, rick

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2000 Johnson 115hp spark comes and goes

Could be a bad power pack but faulty connections can also cause the symptoms. I suggest you start on page 57 of the CDI trouble shooting guide (you will find it in my sig) and go from there.

Rickhoward

Recruit

Could be a bad power pack but faulty connections can also cause the symptoms. I suggest you start on page 57 of the CDI trouble shooting guide (you will find it in my sig) and go from there.

Thanks for you quick reply... I think my real question is can the CDI or power pack test good one day and bad the next?
my problem is some else is working on the motor, they happened to be at the right place at the right time (when it wouldn't start at the ramp).... they seemed to have the right test equipment, so I give them a shot... but yesterday they called and said they wanted to order a new rectifier and then today they called and said the power pack is the problem so you can see how i question their ability ...

hidef

Lieutenant

Electronics can be flaky and be intermittent until they finally quit for good. A bad rectifier can cause spark to be intermittent so can a bad power pack. Loose wiring can cause issues as well as worn wiring.