What Mercruiser outdrive is compatible with the Volvo Penta AQ205A GM V-6 4.3L engine

JETtech USNRET

Recruit
I can't find parts for the Volvo Penta DP-A outdrives on my boat. Parts are super expensive. I want to sh--tcan these outdrives and put Mercruiser outdrives on my 1989 Carver 27. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: What Mercruiser outdrive is compatible with the Volvo Penta AQ205A GM V-6 4.3L en

Where are you looking for those parts? What particular problem has you upset enough to scrap it? If you cannot find parts how can they be expensive?!??

To put a Mercruiser drive on you have to redo the transom as the VP hole is much bigger. Scroll down some in this thread and you will see a good answer on this type of change by Don S.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: What Mercruiser outdrive is compatible with the Volvo Penta AQ205A GM V-6 4.3L en

you will need to redo the tranom if you want to go to Merc drives.

what are you looking for? I have the same drive, and I can find parts easy

http://www.volvopentastore.com

JETtech USNRET

Recruit

Where are you looking for those parts? What particular problem has you upset enough to scrap it? If you cannot find parts how can they be expensive?!??

To put a Mercruiser drive on you have to redo the transom as the VP hole is much bigger. Scroll down some in this thread and you will see a good answer on this type of change by Don S.

Thank you Scott & Maclin
I was really frustrated that day. I couldn't get the caps off the outdrive rams so I could rebuild them. They are all leaking.
I should have said I am having a hard time finding used parts. I need another transom mount because corrosion has ruined mine (876150). A new one is way too expensive. Engine parts prices for the AQ205A GM V-6 3.4L are ridiculous too. Paying VP $50 for a distributor cap and $12 for a rotor is insane. I have been to every auto parts place in Ft. Myers trying to find a cheap replacement for the cap and rotor and no luck. I guess it would be easier to change distributors to an auto type. Is the DP-A outdrive also referred to as a 290? Thanks.

Maclin

Admiral

A DP-A is not a 290, but some things are the same, the 290DP style is the previous model of the DP-A.

I have been able to find tuneup parts and impeller kits, etc. on eBay. Several good Marine suppliers there. Shipping is not too bad when combining parts.

Also some salvage and used parts there at times.

Best to keep to the Marine distributor and parts, auto parts are not as likely to meet Marine/Coast Guard specs regarding venting, spark potential, corrosion resistance, etc. Same goes for starters, alternators. Have the original OEM Marine ones rebuilt when they need it.

The OEM VP parts are good quality, so you do get more value with the price as well as knowing they are within the tighter Marine spces.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

take the rams to a hydraulic shop. they will have you back up and running shortly.

you should be able to get a mallory or sierra cap for about $20, rotor for about $6

BTW, I did a google search for 876150 and found it from a few places new and used, including Ebay.