Gas vent to low?

Cowthief

Seaman
I know they make the vents that also go back up to the gas filler, but I wanted to keep things as close to original as possible. Every time I look at the gas vent I think it is to low in the water and the possibility of water getting in. I know I always have the option of adding a water separator. Am I just being paranoid? I bought this 86 used and slowly rebuilding things. Gas tank was just elevated off the floor with new hoses, filler cap and vent port.

gas vent.jpg

Philster

Captain
Re: Gas vent to low?

I would want it higher. That clamshell fitting is begging for wave from astern to come on in.

Usually above the bow rail is common.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's a Bad spot, 'cause when breakin' over onto plane, it's Really wet with splash there....

I'd put in on the Transom, 'n with a risin' loop in the hose....

Cowthief

Seaman

That's what I thought. That was the original place for it. Guess Ill be filling a hole. :) Thanks guys

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I had a vent in the side, further up front and higher, and lost a motor from it. My clamshell got old and damaged, and the gooseneck wasn't installed with a high enough loop.
Transoms are a good idea but they take on stern wake which can come with a lot of force.
I'd go with the venting fill cap even though it's not original.
But don't rely on a water separator--they handle small amounts of water suspended in the fuel. Keep the water out instead.