I'm thinking this might be too much motor...

InMotion

Commander
Some have been worried about too much or too little power for their tinnies... I'm thinking that the photo below illustrates a good example of the former. When the motor appears larger than the boat... it might be time to de-power.

FYI: This boat runs a solid 93 mph!!

29861h6_20.jpg

Anyone else seen a tinny way over or way under powered?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: I'm thinking this might be too much motor...

I saw a 18' Holiday for sale with a 33 hp on it....

airshot

Rear Admiral

Some years back I was fishing a lake with a 10 hp limit and sure enough along came an 18 ft bowrider with a 9.9 hp motor on it. I suppose it'll get ya back to the dock. Then again look at all the pontoon boats with small motors....

Airshot

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, we looked at a 16 ft SS here in town that had a 30 hp Suzuki short shaft just...kinda sitting off the back end, wasn't even clamped on. The cavitation plate didn't make it to the bottom of the hull...we got a chuckle out of that combination.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We have the guy here dropping a 115 on a Jupiter - only 30 horses over. Not me!

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

FYI: This boat runs a solid 93 mph!!

Hydrostreams are nice boats.. My STV with a 225 runs in that neighborhood.

I used to run 150's in place of rated 115's all the time on tinny's. Motor weight difference was only about 100lbs so no problem there. The problem that scares a lot of people is that you'll likely push the boat fast enough to find out where it chine walks. That wil scare you if you aren't waiting for it. If I'm going to go over I want it to be a substantial amount over so I have the power to push through the chine walk and get on that last 18-24" of hull.

barato2

Commander

i think i'll pass on the 93 mph boats. when i was a kid in Fla, i once watched a hydroplane race....not the biguns with RR Merlins and the like, just outboards. it was a choppy day and one guy caught tip of a sponson in a wave and went over. sounded like a giant belly flop when the top of the hull slapped the water. fortunately it was shallow enough water that they were able to recover his body pretty quickly....

InMotion

Commander

Problem with water AT 93 mph is that isn't water anymore.... it's concrete. Oouch!! There's a whole lotta stuff passing by at that speed and a whole lot that can go wrong. Even at 40mph it feels more like 90!

I do like the 9.9 on an 18 footer... man I bet it was good on fuel!

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

It looks pretty good just sitting there... but I want to see it go!

InMotion

Commander

It looks pretty good just sitting there... but I want to see it go!

Bunker - Wish I had a video of it going... it looks like it is going a million miles an hour sitting there!