2010 Monterey 194FS electrical issues

thimself

Recruit
I have recently purchased a low hour 2010 Monterey 194FS and have had a blast. It's a little soon for my first DIY repair however I will enjoy learning about the boat.

I have searched all over the internet for a 2010 manual for my boat (sadly didn't come with one) and have had no success. Theres a 2011 manual and a 2007 manual, both which show wiring diagrams that are different than what I have. My issue is there are three switches on my dash that are not working: horn, blower and bilge pump. All three use the same power or ground wire, cannot tell which without the diagrams. I have checked all the fuses on the fuse box, and all are fine.

Any suggestions on which things to check would be appreciated (I have a multimeter) or where to find the correct manual.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2010 Monterey 194FS electrical issues

Wiring need not be such a mystery if you think of it as though it is water running through a pipe. Switches are shut off valves and the bilge pump, horn and blower are like lawn sprinklers. Check for +12 volts INTO the swtiches. If present then turn the switch ON and check for power OUT of the switch. If not present the switch is bad. I doubt you have three bad switches so this is not likely the case. Then go to the device (blower, pump, horn). Check for power with the switch ON. If present, the applicable device is either bad or it doesn't have a good ground. Bilge pumps can seize through non-use. If tha's the case it needs to be replaced. Blowers can also seize from non-use. And for heavens sake, don't operate the boat until you fix it unless you happen to be thrilled by the resulting KABOOM and fire that follows. Always run that blower for several minutes before attempting to start an I/O or Inboard. It is all about exhausting the engine bay and bilge area of gas fumes. So in the water/electricity analogy, electricity flows from the fuse panel, to the switch(es), out the switches, to the device, and then to ground (back to the negative post on the battery). A break anywhere in that circuit or a defective device means things can't work.