Please help!!

smurphys1982

Seaman
I have a 1986 8hp Envirude model#E8RCDE. I just bought the boat from my neighbor so it had been sitting for some time. My question, I know the motor runs WHEN it starts, its very hit and miss. If I get it started and let it run for a bit it fires right up but if it sits for any longer then 12 hours same promblem. I can try for hours and no luck, then walk away and try one last time then it starts up. It appears I'm getting spark sometimes and others not. Am I walking into a money pit? What could be causing this? Also I know an old man who's somewhat of an outboard hobbyist, he says he'll take the motor and some cash in return he will give me a 11hp Mercury I believe he said 94-96 running starts up on first pull etc does that sound like a fair trade? My dad says no the Envirude is better, and I get that. But I don't want to dump a huge amount of money into it. Any suggestions?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Please help!!

It could just need a good carb cleaning after sitting those years. Take them apart and soak them and make sure that every orafice is squeaky clean. I would be that solves your problem. Fresh gas is a must.

smurphys1982

Seaman

And when it starts it runs great, great idle, throttle response etc. I think it's a spark issue, but what would cause a intermittent spark issue?

AlTn

Commander

compression, spark, fuel...right amounts at the right time...compression is the starting point in determining motor health, measure with a compression gauge...spark on your engine should jump a 7/8" open air gap measured with an air gap spark checker..fuel, fresh mix pumped to purge all the old fuel out of the lines and the carb bowl as well....what would cause an intermittent spark?..1 cylinder?, both cylinders?..each cylinder at different times?...the free stuff is to unscrew and sand the mounting points and terminal ends for the grounds to each coil, the power pack, and the stop switch. Unplug each amphenol plug and clean the male and female connections. Post back with the compression numbers and the spark test results. I'd suggest you try to find an OMC Factory Manual specific to your motor on ebay or outboardbooks.com as they can really help in not letting your engine become a money pit.

nwcove

Admiral

id get a carb kit and start there. you need one anyway since the motor has been sitting around. unless you have tested for spark with an in-line tester, and saw weak or no spark when it wouldnt start, i would personally not touch the electrics yet. ( just put a carb kit in a 1985 6hp that acted similiar to what you describe, sometimes start, sometimes not, when it would start it needed choke at times to stay running.....ran , but not well. pulled the carb and i honestly dont know how it ran at all, have never seen one with that much sediment in it. a good cleaning and a re-kit and the little motor runs like a new one)

smurphys1982

Seaman

When mine runs it runs magnificently! Great idle throttle response etc. I can literally let it warm up for as little as minute and can turn throttle all the way down and shift with no sputter or stall. That's why I'm lead to believe its not the carb

AlTn

Commander

that open air gap spark checker is the starting point for diagnosing ignition problems....remove both plugs and ground the lead or plug not being checked...the spark should be the same for both each time you check it

nwcove

Admiral

its normal maintenance for a motor that has been stored for a period of time......carb cleaning/kit and impeller. jmo, but dont start troubleshooting with the expensive stuff!

smurphys1982

Seaman

Compression is good, mid 90's! I got good spark going to the power pack from the magneto. But after it leaves the power pack into the two coil wires it's got a very dim light, granted I may not be using the correct instrument to test the coil wires. Also when I take the plug out to see a visible spark when cranking I don't see any? But yet again today it fired up at a random time ran great and proceeds to start at half pull there after until it sits for some time. Also if theyre wasn't any ignition when I took the plugs out wouldn't their be visible fuel on the plugs?

AlTn

Commander

got access to an inductive timing light?...clamp on each plugwire in turn when you have the no start condition...either one, or both, flashing?

smurphys1982

Seaman

How can I undoubtedly rule out the ignition system? Should I get reading on spark plug when just cranking? And how exactly would I go about testing the spark? I know I have good power coming from the magneto, but it appears after the power pack I'm loosing it, but maybe I'm not testing correctly? Should I see power to the plugs "obvious, kind of like a vehicle" when just cranking? Because when its running it seems I have great spark. I dont understand why it's so hit and miss, and why it will start at half pull everytime when the motor is warm but if I let it sit, no luck.. Somebody please please help lol

AlTn

Commander

post #5..any auto parts place should have them ~ $10...Joe Reeves has a diy on making one....or, as has been suggested on the forums by Dhadley...take a good plug, open the gap to 1/2", ground the threads or shoulder to the block and you have the same thing...truly, if you start the shotgun approach to the ignition system it can get pricey quick, although the 2 cylinder models aren't too gawd awful in the grand scheme of things

smurphys1982

Seaman

When doing that should I leave the other plug in the block or do I need to remove both of them?

AlTn

Commander

I remove them both as it makes it easier to pull...and with one plug in you stand the chance of it starting...which is a good reminder, with the plugs out and pulling the rope start, you're gonna have some fuel mix in the air, so don't ground the plugs too close to the sparkplug holes

smurphys1982

Seaman

And if no spark, power pack? I used a test light on the coil wires, which granted not the correct thing, but got a dim light that appeared to pulse correctly. So does that mean it can be the coils? But I've been told coils don't fail once in a while their either bad or good.

nwcove

Admiral

just for an easy experiment, remove both plugs, squirt about a tbsp of premix directly into each plug hole, snug the plugs back in and give it a few pulls. or squirt the same amount directly into the carb and try a few pulls. post back with results.
a bad coil(s) usually acts opposite of what you describe. ie, they fail after they get warm, and will work after they cool down. also...jmo, but dont pull your motor over without both plugs grounded to the block, the cdi ignition may not like it!!