2003 90 HP Yamaha Overheated, Now what?

sewellman78

Recruit
Hi All - I just purchased a 2003 Alumacraft CC with a 90 HP Yamaha from my brother. Lets say it needed some work. I had some welds cleaned up, then had the engine serviced, including: Carb Jets replaced, Carbs cleaned, plug and plug wires replaced, lower unit drained and filled, etc. The only thing that was not done (even though I requested it 3x!) was the impeller or water pump was not replaced. Reason? "it's peeing fine now, I can save you some money." That can lead to another thread on customer service, lets focus on the motor issue now. They also installed a new gas line and a water / fuel separator. Additionally, I removed the center console and the old gas tank, replaced the gas tank, re-installed the electrical wiring and re-ran the fuel line to the gas tank with a "better quality" hosing. So all of this was done and I was ready to put the boat in the water. Backed the boat down, turned it on, first crank and the engine was peeing. Took the boat off of the trailer and docked it and immediately the engine started smoking more than an outboard should at this point. First thought? It's running too rich, but I looked for the telltail sign and sure enough the motor wasn't peeing. Shortly after, the dreaded siren of engine death came on, warning me it was overheating. I put it in gear just long enough to push me toward the ramp and the engine died for obvious reasons. I get the boat back home, hook up a water hose and the engine is peeing without beeing turned on. I know it's suppose to, but it's relevant because it tells me the lines are clogged anywhere. I try to start the engine and it won't start. I tried a few more times and it just wasn't happening. So I let it sit for 24 hours and tried one more time the next day. Same issue, just won't start. My checklist came down to: Is the kill switch key in? Yes. Is the boat in Neutral? Yes. Is the fuel properly connected? It appears so. Pump the bulb. Is it getting gas? I can't tell, the bulb won't harden. I pulled the fuel line directly from the motor and pumped the bulb. Nothing came out. My first thought was nothing is suppose to come out. So i pushed the ball in-ward on the fuel connector and then pumped the bulb. Still no fuel.

So now my thoughts are: when the engine killed, did the fuel somehow retract back to the water / fuel separator and now the bulb can't get it out? Is my fuel system setup correctly? My fuel line goes - Fuel Tank to Water Separator to Bulb to Engine. Perhaps I need another bulb between the fuel tank and the water separator? Maybe it's just the bulb itself; but it's brand new. My next step will be to buy a small 5 gallon tank and hook it up to the motor direct. If that works, then at least I know it's the fuel line. If not, then I guess the engine is seized up.

If anyone can give me some thoughts, maybe a checklist of items to go through, I would greatly appreciate.

Regards.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2003 90 HP Yamaha Overheated, Now what?

Since you didn't actually run the motor for long I doubt that it has any overheat damage, but you should replace the entire water pump, thermostat and pressure control valve, then troubleshoot your fuel delivery system....Is your fuel bulb aimed with the arrows towards the motor? Are the check valves in the bulb working(one in each end)...it's really just a simple hand-operated one-way pump to force fuel from your tank to the carbs until your motor-mounted pump can take over the pumping duties. Hopefully you're OK, and just need to sort it out correctly. Good Luck!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If motor is seized up it will not turn over with the starter motor or by hand.

Sounds like you have an air leak

colding

Seaman

+1 on what Robert and 99yam said. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere in your fuel delivery. But you need to take care of that water pump issue first.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the "new tank" poly? I had a new tank a couple years ago that I for whatever reason looked before using and it had a bunch of little plastic bits in it from casting or punching the holes through or SOMETHING, either way, they would have definitely clogged things up if I had used it as is.