1958 johnson seahorse 10 hp qd-19

So I have finally gotten my old out board up and running. I am very impressed with how this old motor is running and working. I have a clutch that is starting too ware a bit but for about $90 dollars for a new clutch and too still have the motor running after this long I am very impressed. I am looking too upgrade the hp in the motor and was looking for the next best model. I would like too get out of the air and fuel line models but am looking for something on the 20hp too 30hp. 30hp is the max that my boat can take. I have a place where I am able too find motors where I can choose a vintage motor and fix it up but am really looking for a goot outboard that will last after fixing it up. Johnson type is what I am looking for. Any Thoughts?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1958 johnson seahorse 10 hp qd-19

A Johnrude 18 would probably fit your bill. Not quite the 20 you're looking for, but they're strong motors and a big upgrade in power over the 10. You'd be surprised how well they perform! Going to 1960 & up gets you a fuel pump and does away with the air line/ pressure tank set-up.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Can't go wrong with a vintage (mid 50s-mid 70s) OMC 18-20 hp motor. The FD models are some of the best pound-for-pound motors ever made, weighing in around 88 lbs. My '66 20 hp will push my 14' v-hull tinny at around 20 mph and I can toodle around all day using less than a 6 gallon tank. Best of all they're super reliable, there are lots around and they're easy to work on. Here are some great links that can tell your more.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index6.htm

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ill third an FD. Another option would be to get a 50s 18hp, and put a fuel pump on it, if that is the look that you like. Simple and easy procedure.