Endeavour 35 Ignition timing.?

jusssi

Recruit
Hello everybody. New member on board and need some help with my '96 Endeavour. How much should ignition timing be? At idle, wot?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Endeavour 35 Ignition timing.?

What is the model number of your outboard???

hidef

Lieutenant

You really need the OMC/BRP Factory Service Manual for your outboard. The 35/25 triples share very little with any other outboard. I can get you the timing specs but you will have to wait a few hours as I don't take manual to work. What happened to your engine that you need to set the timing?

jusssi

Recruit

Yes, and it's time rare here in finland and pretty hard to get information about it. I bought my engine this spring but it doesn't run very well. No idle and poorly at half throttle. I checked carburetors and everything and then I noticed that when turning ignition less advance, it ran better. I would be easier to adjust right idle if sure that timing is right. I would be grateful for information :) .

hidef

Lieutenant

At idle the timing should be 4 degrees ATDC and at full throttle it should be 20 degrees +or- 1 degree BTDC. You really need to get a service manual if you have to set the timing. When checking or setting the idle timing make sure the QuikStart is disabled by disconnecting the temperature switch black and white lead connector (located between cylinder 1 and 2 on head) and use a jumper to connect the black and white wire to clean ground. Wait about ten seconds for QuikStart to return the timing to normal. Make sure the throttle arm is against the stop. The engine timing pointer should align with the correct degree mark of the flywheel. The boat has to be in the water and moving to accurately check the timing.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...pe=Service+Manual&Engine=438202&Model=35QLEDC

If the oil injection hasn't been removed get rid of it. It is very prone to failure. Unplug the sensor cable, remove the oil tank and mixing unit and connect the fuel hose running to the carbs directly to the fuel filter. Premix 50:1.

The proper spark plugs are QL86C. Make sure your thermostat is functioning correctly. It is located above cylinder 1 big plastic nut screwed into the head also change out the water pump impeller.

jusssi

Recruit

Thanks alot, hidef! :) I must have that manual, it makes things much easier. I can't adjust and test it now because lower unit is taken off. It waits new parts (shifter dog was damaged, new bearings etc.).