Sea Fire - Fire Suppression Systems

VerBoatin

Seaman
Good Morning Fellow Mariners,
I have a Sea Fire - Fire Suppression System installed in my engine room where there at two 454 engines and a Westerbeke genset. I do not know if the system was installed when the boat was manufactured (1990) or if the system was a retrofit. The indicator on the panel (see attached photo with red dashed circle - that is the instrument panel indicator) is illuminated when the engines are running but also illuminates when one ignition is turned on (if I understand the system/indicator, this means the unit needs servicing?). I do not know the system model or other information as I'm still figuring all this out (new boat). Any information you can share on this system, having it serviced, can I remove the extinguishing agent and have it recharged, can I upgrade, etc, all information welcome and would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks for your help in advance!
VB

Sea Fire Indicator on Panel.jpg

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sea Fire - Fire Suppression Systems

I have a Sea Fire system on my 91 Sea Ray and have the original owners manual. If nobody else knows the answer I can check it out when I go out to the boat tonight.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Depends on the system. Some indicators mean that the system is armed and others indicate it needs servicing. With it being a 1990, I would first check the pressure gauge to make certain that the system is still pressurized. Then I would check the system information (I'm sure you can find the operating manual online). Then I would have a qualified extinguisher company check and certify that the system is ready to use.

Thalasso

Commander

Good Morning Fellow Mariners,
I have a Sea Fire - Fire Suppression System installed in my engine room where there at two 454 engines and a Westerbeke genset. I do not know if the system was installed when the boat was manufactured (1990) or if the system was a retrofit. The indicator on the panel (see attached photo with red dashed circle - that is the instrument panel indicator) is illuminated when the engines are running but also illuminates when one ignition is turned on (if I understand the system/indicator, this means the unit needs servicing?). I do not know the system model or other information as I'm still figuring all this out (new boat). Any information you can share on this system, having it serviced, can I remove the extinguishing agent and have it recharged, can I upgrade, etc, all information welcome and would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks for your help in advance!
VB

You can remove it for service but let the service company discharge. The tank might be cheaper just to buy new. Extingushers have a test date for static test.It should be stamped on the bottom. Yours is probably out of date. There will be a cap on top of the extingusher that gets removed. It will have a couple of wire attached to it. Just unplug and remove the extingusher

Googled your system and this is what came up. (copy&paste)

OPERATION
During power on, the Sytem Armed, System Discharge and
High Temperature LED's will light and the alarm will sound
for one second. This is a test function to test the integrity
of the wiring. After this test, if there are no faults, only the
green System Armed LED will remain lit.
Should the Sea-Fire extinguisher discharge, the red System
Discharge LED will light and the alarm will sound. Cylinder
discharge will cause the relays in the Sea-Fire ESRS to shut
down the engines and ventilation. The alarm can be
silenced and the relays reset by pressing the Reset Silence
button. The red System Discharge LED will remain lit.
If the cylinder has not been replaced next time the power
is turned on, the alarm will sound continuously and the
System Discharge LED will light. The alarm can be silenced
by pressing the Reset Silence button. This will also reset
the relays allowing the engines to be started.

VerBoatin

Seaman

I have a Sea Fire system on my 91 Sea Ray and have the original owners manual. If nobody else knows the answer I can check it out when I go out to the boat tonight.

I really appreciate this offer. I was able to find the manual for the system "on line" so I think I am good to go on that part. Again, many thanks for your kind offer!
VB

VerBoatin

Seaman

Fantastic recommendations and step-by-step methodology for checking the system. This gives me a great way to move forward on the system check! Many thanks! Also, just FYI, I made a general (in the blind) inquiry via the internet to Sea Fire and a gentleman named Bruce Glassman from Sea Fire contacted me right away by email. He advised me to arm myself with my multi-meter and a Phillips screwdriver give him a call by phone and he would talk me through some system checks to see what the status of the system is and what might be needed. Bruce can be contacted between 7:30am & 4:00pm at: Bruce J. Glassman, Electrics Department, 410-687-5500 ext. 125, or email bglassman@sea-fire.com, www.sea-fire.com . I talked to him on the phone and he was super customer service oriented and very willing to help me even thought the system is old, etc. Not sure if this is helpful to anyone else but I plan to call him as soon as I can get on the boat and have an hour or so for the process. Again, many thanks for all of the input! VB