I have a question about trim operation?As operating trim up & down?

starwriter

Banned
I have a 1991 Welcraft 186 4.3 L Mercruiser Alpha 1 that I restored and ready to try it out.
On the Throutle handle there is a switch for trim up & down.Below that is a button says trailor.
What is the trailor button for?

When I first got this boat.I noticed that the trim down button wasn't working.Only the up trim button was.To bring the trim down I had to use the trailor button.As the trailor button brings the trim down.
I took the boat out the other day and noticed the trim up & down button is working now.Don't know if the trim switch has a short or not but,now it seems to work.
What is the trailor button for?When I push the trailor button it brings the trim down.
Seem's theres two down buttons for the trim?One on the throutle Handle and another is the trailor button.
I don't understand why there is 2 different buttons to bring the trim down?
The button says trailor.I can't see why you would push the trailor button on for the trailor?If I do that the prop will hit the ground while on the trailor.When loading the boat on to the trailor.I raise the trim up because,of shallow water.
What is the trailor button for?
I have a trim up & down trigger button.Why trailor button?

I have another question on this same topic please,
I am a newby with boating.What is the trim up & down trigger button for?I know it brings the front of the boat up & down.And also,to avoid sand barges & shallow waters & loading & unloading from trailor.Is it for speed also?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I have a question about trim operation?As operating trim up & down?

The wiring on your vessel is suspect! The trailer button literally means to put the outdrive all the way up in the trailering position. Your "water trim" switches won't do that under normal operation. I would get some help with the wiring of your trim system before putting that boat on the water (or road.)

An outdrive is intended to be trimmed for minimum distance and power required to plane. To increase top speed, keep a level running attitude on plane, reduce following wake and increase fuel efficiency through minimal required cruise rpm. It also controls porpoising, gives a smoother and quieter ride.

Good luck!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As I understand it the trim button only trims the outdrive within the safe range of normal operation.
The universals in the drive can only flex just so far.It is possible the idle the boat along at the ragged edge of up trim
in shallow water conditions but excessive use will prematurely wear the universals.
The trailer button is simply to be able to raise and lower the outdrive for safe trailering
you wouldn't normally lower the drive on the trailer except for long term storage to relieve the pressure on the system.

starwriter

Banned

Reply,
I didn't look to notice if there's a difference when using trailor button or the trin trigger button.I'll look more into it.
My friend just a 1999 boat like the one I have.His trim button does the same as the trigger button only operate's up,While on the trailor.The down trigger button isn't working.But,trailor button is.I'm wondering if this is a safty deal as this is normal?Because,I noticed,when in the water the trim buttons all work.But,if on the trailor the trim down don't work.