280 input shaft reseal

12jeep

Cadet
Just bought a 1985 Bayliner 1950 Bowrider with AQ225D. The 280 drive has water in the oil. I just pulled the drive (Bellows had a tear in it and full of milk) I am an experienced mechanic but I have never worked on a out drive before. Looking at the manual it looks like I can pull the yoke out and reseal it with out tearing the top end apart. I am looking any tips or tricks/advice from some who knows these drives well.

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 280 input shaft reseal

Taking off the top is no big deal. there are umpteen threads in here that show exactly how to do it. There might be pics and vids too. And Welcome aboard and good luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ooking at the manual it looks like I can pull the yoke out and reseal it with out tearing the top end apart.

Better look again, you have to remove the front section of the upper gear box, dissassemble the double bearing box, replace needed parts,seals and orings, then reassemble and reset rolling torque on the double bearing box. Then put the upper back together. And DO NOT mix up the shims. That mistake could cost thousands to repair.

12jeep

Cadet

Yes I can see that. I was just wondering if the gear set had to come out. After a little more research I can see that it does not. Thank you for the reply.