outboard adjustment

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys, got a 1963 johnson 40 hp electramatic, the problem is that its on an angle when on the back of the boat, so bad that it rubs on the port side mounting bracket....im sure it would drive not too bad in the water, but since its rubbing, it makes it real hard to pull the engine up to trailer....is there a way to adjust this?
thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: outboard adjustment

Don't quite understand, any chance you could post a picture?

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_4241.jpgIMG_4243.jpgIMG_4242.jpg

ok, sorry, here's a few pics, (couldn't back up any farther due to my garage in the road)
pic 1 shows the motors slant down to the port side.
pic 2 shows the port side where the motor rubs right against the mounting bracket (where it pivots to trailer)
pic 3 is SB side showing about half inch or so room between the engine and mount....

anyway to even out the space so i doesn't rub? makes it real heavy to pull up to trailer, and also very hard to get it to lock into place for driving...
thanks

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it doesn't seem to be broken, and the bracket is tight to the motor on both sides at the pivot bolt....guess i would have to pull the motor (frigs sakes haha) to check the conical washers... now i do know that when i put the motor on, it sat good and pulled up to trailer easy, but i must have done something, maybe when i tightened the fastening bolts to the transom, it did something?
is there any other possibility? before i pull the motor?
thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Try grabbing the lower unit and try moving it side to side and see if there is play around the pivot bolt, if so the conical washers might be defective.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is that mtr on some type of a bracket ??

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Daviet, ive been trying to push it side to side with my foot holding the boat and theres really no give at all, super heavy and no play...
boobie, not sure what you mean, theres a bracket that the motor's attached to, but it just sits on the transom.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so i tried jacking the motor up today to lessen the weight on the transom, loosened the transom bolts, (the bottom bracket bolts haven't been drilled out and fastened yet due to this issue) tried to pry the motor over a little but, but am weary about busting something...no go....took out the pivot bolt out and it looked good, both sides of the bracket where they touch at the pivot bolt are flush and look good.
i pulled the motor up and put my pickle fork between the bracket and motor, and it will pry over a bit, but i didn't want to force anything just incase....i have a port-a-power that i could shove in between and it will certainly bend it back, but like i said, dont want to break anything.
any suggestions? could something be that bent? nothing looks to be...
i dunno, gonna be a pain to trailer this engine if it rubs this bad (its already heavy enough)
thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Has it always been that way, or did it just happen?

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just bought the motor this year, when i put it on the boat and pulled it up for trailering, it worked fine (but not sure how tight i had the bracket clamps) but i only remember doing it once, so im not too sure

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

By looking at photos 2 & 3, it sure looks like you have a conical washer or pivot bolt problem. I guess I can't think of anything that would let the engine **** to one side like that.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is there an easy way to get the washers out? looks like theres not too much room to get them out from beetween the motor and the mount.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so i popped the washers out (busted the plate that connects the bracket together...oops) everything looked fine until i busted the bracket..however, now i can just pull the bottom of the bracket apart so it doesnt' rub, the motor still sits a bit slanted, but i have no idea why....any reason i cant just bolt the bottom of the bracket to the boat separated a lil bit so it can swing easier?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Something is torqued out of shape somewhere, if you can secure it with a bolt, I don't see what it would hurt.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya thats what i figured. Thanks Davie
doesn't really give me a warm fuzzy feeling about what happened to this motor : (