1989 Mercury 4 cylinder switchbox question 2 wire red stator or 4 wire black stator.

Str8g

Cadet
Unable to find any tech info on the make up of a mercury 4 cylinder switch box, I was wondering if someone could give me some info on a swithbox working correctly. We have a 1989 mercury 100hp that had a mercury red stator with the two wires (blue and blue/white) connected to what looked to be a new switchbox with the four terminals and and using a running DVA test at idle I only had spark to the two top two cylinders. The Trigger tested working correctly and we also also replaced that trigger with a new one and the problem didn't lie with the trigger. Am I correct in assuming that the 4 cylinder swithbox should deliver spark to all 4 cylinders regardless of whether you are using the two wire red stator or the 4 wire black stator. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to trouble shoot whether we have a bad swithbox. we have already replaced the stator and trigger and am still having what seems to be ignition problems with the motor bogging and loading up the plugs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Mercury 4 cylinder switchbox question 2 wire red stator or 4 wire black stat

m I correct in assuming that the 4 cylinder swithbox should deliver spark to all 4 cylinders regardless of whether you are using the two wire red stator or the 4 wire black stator
If the trigger is working correctly you will have spark on all 4 cylinders regardless of stator type... a quickie on that ignition system/:
flywheel goes round,stator makes AC current, internal rectifier converts to high voltage dc, capacitor is charged and now box is ready to fire as the flywheel goes round, the center hub(trigger) makes ac voltage, sent to box to trigger a scr switch which causes the capacitor to discharge to that cylinder, note it only triggers on the ac + side........so if the box has a good blue spark and will jump a 3/8 gap with a "snap" the stator is ok as it has done its job of charging capacitor. If you only have spark on 2 cylinders, swap the non firing trigger wires to the firing ones, if the other cylinder fore and then that where firing quit...bad trigger., if it does change and the existing still fire =bad switch box or coil grounding problem
Unable to find any tech info on the make up of a mercury 4 cylinder switch box,
Here ya go ..only thing you cant test is capacitor or internal rectifier...

Scan.jpg
http://www.cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/114-5772.pdf

Str8g

Cadet
Re: 1989 Mercury 4 cylinder switchbox question 2 wire red stator or 4 wire black stat

We believe the trigger is working properly, but with the Red two wire stator in place the engine fires and idles fine on the top two cylinders without any spark to the bottom two cylinders. With the stator swaped out to a Mercury black 4 wire stator (oe to the motor)the motor starts idles fine and I have spark to all four cylinders. With that setup at idle the dva tests to the four coils test within range and I have spark to the 4 cylinders using a spark gap tester. With the Red stator two wire setup I have using the dva tests 1 and 2s voltage test in range but on 3 and 4 I have no readings and using the spark gap tester no spark on 3 and 4. my gut tells me the switch box is bad. I wish there was an electrical test to check the switch box. If I were to replace it my concern is why did the box fail in the first place. Any tips would be appreciated. The motor fires but the boat when you give it throttle just falls on its face, no power and when we can get it on plane it wont rev pass 3500 full throttle. the plugs are consistently fouled up after a test run.

jjlove68

Cadet

We believe the trigger is working properly, but with the Red two wire stator in place the engine fires and idles fine on the top two cylinders without any spark to the bottom two cylinders. With the stator swaped out to a Mercury black 4 wire stator (oe to the motor)the motor starts idles fine and I have spark to all four cylinders. With that setup at idle the dva tests to the four coils test within range and I have spark to the 4 cylinders using a spark gap tester. With the Red stator two wire setup I have using the dva tests 1 and 2s voltage test in range but on 3 and 4 I have no readings and using the spark gap tester no spark on 3 and 4. my gut tells me the switch box is bad. I wish there was an electrical test to check the switch box. If I were to replace it my concern is why did the box fail in the first place. Any tips would be appreciated. The motor fires but the boat when you give it throttle just falls on its face, no power and when we can get it on plane it wont rev pass 3500 full throttle. the plugs are consistently fouled up after a test run.

Maybe my experience so far will help.

This is how my '88 100 Merc behaved for years with the previous owner. He never fixed it because it would eventually pick up the other two cylinders. Eventually he lost all spark, gave up, got pissed, and sold me the entire boat and trailer for $300. I found a bad spark plug wire that probably stressed and killed the coil as well as the switch box. After replacing the switch box, plug wires, and one or two coils the motor ran better than most motors half it's age. I snickered at people with new-ish looking outboard motors struggling to get their pigs started at the ramp when my 23yo motor would kick off and purr before it made one full revolution on the starter.

But my story didn't end there... After a few rides, I lost all spark again. I was in the process of building my own DVA to start testing stuff when Hurricane Irene hit. I gave up and stored the boat until now. I was explaining my sequence of events to a Merc mechanic over the winter and he completed my story from the point replacing the switch box to now before I could. He told me a switch box that is going bad will over stress the stator and weaken it. He said after replacing just the switch box when customers refuse to pay for a new stator, trigger, rectifier as a package; he'll typically have the boat back in a few days because it just died underway with a bad stator. He assured me that the switch box does not typically get ruined under this sequence of events. I didn't even test anything with the DVA. I pulled my flywheel the other day and found a "red" replacement stator had already be installed once. It looks like a May, 1997 manufacture date stamped on the outer molding. So I have a "red" stator kit, trigger, and rectifier ordered. The mechanic said to just replace it all and be done with it so that is what I intend to do. We'll hopefully see what happens this weekend. The parts are expected to arrive Friday.

Str8g

Cadet

Hopefully just a final update, but we apparently may have just resolved the problem(s) with the motor. We purchased the motor from an individual who completley rebuilt the powerhead and never had it running right. One problem we knew it had was it didn't have spark on cylinders 3 and 4. which we found ended up being a bad switchbox, but had replace the stator and trigger along the way as well. but the discovery over the weekend could prove big. a couple weeks ago I just decided to order a set of jets for the carbs just to rule out a jetting problem. I received the jets and pulled the carbs again this weekend and removed the jet from carb 1, the jet size I removed was .076 (for a 115 merc) the correct size size for the 100hp mercury is .054. all the carbs had the .076 jet. What is bizarre is the carbs on the motor are stamped W - 11 for the 4 carbs showing they were for a 100 hp mercury but the 4 float bowls had the .076 jets installed. I reinstalled the carbs and the difference was noticable in the driveway but I hope it runs well when we get it in the water this week.

jjlove68

Cadet

I replaced ALL the electronics on my engine and now it runs like a top again. But the second day out my fuel tank popped a hole and 20 gallons of fuel went into the bilge... I have already built a new tank and installed it because I am lucky enough to work at a place that does aluminum fabrication. But still... f'in boats... I'ts already up for sale because now that nothing is wrong with it, it is the perfect time to sell it. :rolleyes: