clicking noise

ilovepepper1

Recruit
I have a 2007 Chaparral Sunesta with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GI. When I turn the wheel in either direction I'm hearing a clicking noise that sounds like its coming from the lower unit. Any suggestions?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: clicking noise

The clicking sound "could" be your U-joints because the needle bearings are starting to go.

This is just a guess mind you.

Does your steering wheel jerk/throb as your applying it in either direction? is your power steering resevour topped up.

Is your power steering belt loose, more 1/2 inch deflection in the center is loose and could be slipping as your applying preasure to the pump while steering.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clicking noise

The clicking sound "could" be your U-joints because the needle bearings are starting to go.

This is just a guess mind you.

Does your steering wheel jerk/throb as your applying it in either direction? is your power steering resevour topped up.

Is your power steering belt loose, more 1/2 inch deflection in the center is loose and could be slipping as your applying preasure to the pump while steering.

Ditto on the U joints. Mine did this. Pulled the lower unit off, greased the u joints and problem was solved.