Replacing tires, do I have the right ones.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
My 18 ft Aluminum Sylvan with motor and gear can't possibly weigh more than 2000 lbs. I've had a problem with persistent bead leaks on the passnger side leading up to this weekend at the cabin where I came out to find it completely flat. I filled it back up and couldn't find a leak anywhere, which leaves me with a couple questions: (I've cleaned up the rim and sealed it a couple times, it looked fine)

1) I can't pull into my alley without one side riding over the curb, the way I come from means it's always the passenger side. The passenger side also rides over an unavoidable bump from the alley up into my driveway. I go over the curb as slow as possible but could this be the reason I always have a problem with that side, and if so would a radial tire be better or worse?

2) Right now I've got 175/80D13 Carlisles load range C. I think the D means they are bias ply? The sidewall says inflate to a maximum of 35lbs. Most others I see say seem to be 50psi or more. What's the difference? Could that be part of the reason I'm having problems?

3) Does this tire size seem appropriate? The capacity for C tires is 1360lbs. To me that seems more than appropriate but most of the trailers I see with 18 ft boats seem to run bigger tires.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Replacing tires, do I have the right ones.

I can't pull into my alley without one side riding over the curb, the way I come from means it's always the passenger side. The passenger side also rides over an unavoidable bump from the alley up into my driveway. I go over the curb as slow as possible but could this be the reason I always have a problem with that side, and if so would a radial tire be better or worse?

Take a couple 2x4's and build yourself a ramp for the tire to ride up and over the curb, so the tire isn't getting banged up. Something like this, built it like a pallet, maybe 12" wide.

ramp.JPG

If you are 1/2 way handy with wood, you could do this...

ramp2.JPG

Tie a rope on it so you can move it in-out of the garage easily.

superbenk

Commander

My 18 ft Aluminum Sylvan with motor and gear can't possibly weigh more than 2000 lbs. I've had a problem with persistent bead leaks on the passnger side leading up to this weekend at the cabin where I came out to find it completely flat. I filled it back up and couldn't find a leak anywhere, which leaves me with a couple questions: (I've cleaned up the rim and sealed it a couple times, it looked fine)

1) I can't pull into my alley without one side riding over the curb, the way I come from means it's always the passenger side. The passenger side also rides over an unavoidable bump from the alley up into my driveway. I go over the curb as slow as possible but could this be the reason I always have a problem with that side, and if so would a radial tire be better or worse?

2) Right now I've got 175/80D13 Carlisles load range C. I think the D means they are bias ply? The sidewall says inflate to a maximum of 35lbs. Most others I see say seem to be 50psi or more. What's the difference? Could that be part of the reason I'm having problems?

3) Does this tire size seem appropriate? The capacity for C tires is 1360lbs. To me that seems more than appropriate but most of the trailers I see with 18 ft boats seem to run bigger tires.

35lbs sounds really low to me. You sure you're reading correctly?

The ramp idea is a good one.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Not sure of your load rating. Take the tires and rims to. general tire.etc.. tell them you have bead seal leak. they will pop the bead and put bead sealer on the rims. Often free.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think 35PSI is low too, check the tire again.

I has an old 16' glass boat and always thought, "eh' she's around 2500#" BOY was I shocked when I scaled the boat/trailer heading out to the lake one day, 3000# :eek: No wonder I was having tire issues...:facepalm: Going from load range C to load range D tires solved my issue.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Thanks all for the info and the ramp idea. Being a typical American I saw the 35 and assumed it was psi and not 350 KPa....otherwise known as 50PSI (Why would anybody use anything besides PSI?). So I should rephrase the question, would Properly Inflated load range C tires be OK:rolleyes: Boat and motor weigh about 1250 lbs without gear.

NYBo

Admiral

They should be, as long as you inflate them to 50 PSI. If you were running 35 PSI, that may explain your problems.