1971 Rude 25 hp -- head gasket

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a '71 25hp sportster for $80, has sat for years. Tested compression and got zero on both cyls, before realizing that the PO had removed most (but not the bottom 2) of the cylinder head bolts. I put them back in and lightly torqued (I know there's a very specific torquing sequence -- awaiting factory manual), and got similar compression (95-100 psi) on both cyls.

My question is: do I need to put on a new head gasket, or should I just torque per specs and make sure compression is good?

For those interested, there is strong spark on 1 cyl and weak/intermittent on the other, so a point/condenser tune up is in order. Prop is in not bad shape. If I can resurrect this motor cheaply I will do a happy dance.

Thanks!

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1971 Rude 25 hp -- head gasket

we're it mine..I'd surface the head and replace the head gasket....replace the water pump impeller, inspect the w/p housing and wear plate, and change the lower unit lube along with the vent and drain gaskets.....that's decent compression all things considered and at least a starting point to getting it going

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do the things as suggested above and then get into the ignition system.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all. Thanks to this forum, I'm pretty hip on how to resurrect the motor (I've read the Top Secret File, and I've got a new impeller & plate, points & condensers, carb kit, plugs on order), and can't wait to get started.

Anyone else want to chime in with advice on the head gasket?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

As AITn suggested, make sure the head is flat and install a new head gasket and torque to spec.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like there's a consensus. New head gasket ordered! Thanks, All!