Sea Ray 180 F/S Bowrider Outboard - Electrical Problem

Kickinit2u

Recruit
I have a Sea Ray 180 F/S Bowrider outboard.. Over the weekend we were riding around and I noticed the voltimeter gage start jumping around from 12 to 18 volts. While this was happening the fuel gage slowly starting moving from F to E...and the 115 Merc started sputtering. after about 5 secs or so...all was good...then it happened again.What would cause this... BTW no other items were using power i.e. radio / lights, etc

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sea Ray 180 F/S Bowrider Outboard - Electrical Problem

I have a Sea Ray 180 F/S Bowrider outboard.. Over the weekend we were riding around and I noticed the voltimeter gage start jumping around from 12 to 18 volts. While this was happening the fuel gage slowly starting moving from F to E...and the 115 Merc started sputtering. after about 5 secs or so...all was good...then it happened again.What would cause this... BTW no other items were using power i.e. radio / lights, etc

Loose or dirty connection between your ignition/key and the alternator/generator and battery.
clean terminals and make sure they are tight.

Next time your on the water or you hook it up to hose, fire up the motor and start wiggling wires if there is nothing apparent.