Looking for good advice

zigger215

Cadet
I am at a loss on what to do with my Hewes Craft River Runner 210 w/mercruieser 5.7L motor.

A little background, I bought this boat two months ago from a dealer(rivers were still frozen up here in Alaska). I was told the boat was started in the shop and ran great. When the rivers finally melted the shop asked me to bring the boat back down to run it once. So I did and they said it ran great.

It didn't, my first ride was a rough and bouncy ride due to porpoising, also the fuel gauge didnt work. I brought it back and they fixed both problems. A little while later (about 5 boat hrs) the water separator took a crap on me and my boat ran like crap. I had to buy a new one.

Sometime later (maybe 7 boat hrs) I loaded the boat up and headed out on a 4 hr trip to the Yukon river. The boat had always struggled to get on step but I didn't know it was a real problem (this is my first inboard, I thought it was normal), anyways, with 3 guys and 800lbs in gear I couldn't get on step...period. Turns out the impeller was missing a leading edge, I had to buy this part and replace, boat ran amazing!...for 30 minutes.

The next problem was a blown head gasket and bad manifold. After miadiagnosing the boat and spending two weeks fixing it (for free) I finally got it back. 7 minutes into my boat ride yesterday (I had just picked it up) I dropped a valve, same side as the bad head gasket.

My thing now is, what should I do??

Acouple key notes, the impeller being bad was a shock because the boat had a brand spanking new pump on it and I was told the internals were new...turns out the impeller was old and shot. Also, when I picked the boat up yesterday the trailer bump guides were bent really bad, someone loaded my boat at ramming speed...

If you guys owned this boat for two months and this happened, what would you do?

1998 Hewes Craft River Runner 210 w/mercurieser 5.7 w/223 hrs on it, boat looked in great shape, brand new American turbine SD-309 pump on it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for good advice

Howdy,

It appears that you bought yourself a used boat. They usually don't come with much of a warranty. (read your purchase contract) Looks like you'll be replacing or rebuilding the engine unless you can get the dealer to fix it.

It looks like they have covered some "stuff" already. I don't think they'll "cover" everything though.....

Sorry about that,

Rick

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I'll show my ignorance here.....what do you mean by 'on step'? Do you mean on plane? And how does an impeller keep it from getting there? Esp. with 3 guys and 800lbs of stuff.........

Sorry, but it sounds like a series of events.......impeller gone, engine overheats, gasket blows, (not sure how the manifold fits in), drop a valve. Not to mention that Alaska has to be extra hard on anything mechanical.

Welcome to used boat ownership. Sounds like your shop guys have stepped up so far, except for the messed up guides.

jmho. :redface:

<<)))(((>>

zigger215

Cadet

On step and on plane are the same thing. An impeller play a critical role here. When you are on step you don't need much of an impeller to stay there. When you are accelerating, especially with a loaded boat the impeller means everything, if you have a broken leading edge then you lose that percentage of power. For example, I have a 4 blade aluminum impeller, busted leading edge cuts my power to the water by 25%. When your boat is loaded you need ALL of your power to climb up on step (or plane).

Alaska isn't hard on boats. During our summer months the temp stays between 80 and 90. The coldest I've ever run my boat was about 45 degrees one morning during moose hunting season.

The shop has stepped up and fixed everything so far. I haven't really brought up the guides to them yet because I want them to focus on the motor for right now.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should run away as fast as possible from this boat. Lemon laws do not apply to used items but I was still considering selling it.

jdlough

Impeller?

I don't think that word means what you think it means.....

zigger215

Cadet

Coulda fooled me then, impeller is what's inside your jet unit or pump. It provides thrust for a jet unit

Philster

Captain

Short version, as I see it:

Engine was running hot because of a bad impeller.

Hot engine = weak engine. Weak engine won't like the load on the engine required when trying to plane (get on step).

Blown head gasket = common with overheating

Blown head gasket = water into cylinder(s).

Valve got jacked up in a leaking cylinder. Metals don't like to corrode.

Overheated engines like to make mush out of any parts that need to align/seat properly, such as heads, manifolds, risers, etc.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Impeller = feeds water from the source thru the engine to keep it cool

Propeller = moves the boat thru the water using torque and thrust

Had me confused for a bit there as well.

zigger215

Cadet

Hmm when I need to replace my impeller or propeller or whatever, we just call them impellers up here. Maybe I'm crazy lol. Anyways I've never overheated the motor since I've owned it but the elbow did look a little scorched.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

He is talking about a jet pump powered boat... impeller is absolutely the proper term. An impeller is a jet pump's internal propeller.

zigger215

Cadet

Lol I had thought I made that clear. Thanks for clearing it up

Philster

Captain

And here I was talking about a boat!
:D

:redface:

zigger215

Cadet

I posted this in the I/O mercruiser section and they moved it to here.

royal0014

Ok, so it's a jet-drive. Now the impeller makes sense. Vital information........

<<)))(((>>

zigger215

Cadet

Lol uh, that fact that it's a hewes craft 210 river runner with an inboard 350 gave it away I thought

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Call it impeller, propeller.agitator or what you want. I call it BOAT..that means :bust out another thousand,,