prop help MW vs Solas & 4 blade

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my 2000 Maxum 2100SR I currently have a 17P Michigan vortex prop, and was going to go down in pitch a little to get some more power but also considering a 4 blade. Would there be much gain in the 4 blade on this application?

MW doesnt make a 15P 4 blade, but Solas does. How does the Solas Rubex or Amita compare to the MW as far as quality, and also pitch comparison?

Does the Rubex prop fit a flo-torq or vortex hub, or would I need to get another hub or look at the amita series?

FYI: earlier this spring on a 70* day with a light load and 2 adults, trimmed in it hit 4500, trimmed out just shy of 4800. Which is right in the correct rpm range, but with a more normal load of 6 adults and more gear in the heat/humidity of summer it struggles to get 4400-4500 trimmed out. So that along with more towing power for skiing is the main reason for change.

If there wouldnt be much to gain with a 4blade or the solas design., it would be just as easy to swap to another MW but just considereing options at this point. Or any other suggestions?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop help MW vs Solas & 4 blade

Last year I switched from a MW 3 blade aluminum 14.25 x 21 to a stainless 14.125 X 19 Boat has a 260 V8 / Alpha 1 - it's a Sea Ray Seville 210 MC

MW Aluminum 3 blade prop - 1,000 rpm (no wake speed) 3.3 mph 3,500 rpm - 25 mph and topped out 4,400 rpm 40 mph - Very slow out of the hole (I'm guessing 10+ seconds to get on plane)

Stainless 4 blade prop - 1,000 rpm (no wake speed) 4.6 mph 3,300 rpm - 25 mph and topped out 4,500 rpm 41 mph - Jumps out of the hole (I'm guessing 5 seconds to get on plane)

All speeds are per the GPS

All in all I am EXTREMELY happy with making this swap, It's like I have a new boat. - I see no down side in this case. I know this will not be the same result for everyone but I thought some would be interested in the information.

LK