Another I/O to outboard conversion...

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
It's a 1976 Starcraft bowrider that had an OMC stringer drive.
I'll be building a bracket to hang the motor out back similar to what WeldZilla did for his.
I found a 200hp extra long shaft black max with a blown powerhead that I'll be rebuilding as well.

photo0395r.jpg

photo0393j.jpg

photo0396i.jpg

photo0397.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another I/O to outboard conversion...

The often talked about and rarely completed IO to OB conversion you say?

Cool!!! Looking forward to seeing it happen:)

You found yourself a sweet ride there! You sure you don't want to keep that Stringer Drive? Looks like she's in great shape in the photos there:rolleyes:

Rock on!:D

Ned L

Commander

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on large outboards & inboard outboards (I'm a straight inboard guy for anything 16' & up), but would you really want to hang a 200hp outboard off the transom of that boat? It seems like a lot of weight on a light boat to me.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

A 200 sounds like a bit much for that hull,.........

What is the hull rated for??

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Because it was an I/O there is no hp rating. I would be curious to know what the outboard version of this boat was rated for.
I'm not just going to slap a box on the back without re-enforcing the transom first. It will have knee braces running from the transom down to the stringers opposite of where the mount will be bolted to the outside as well.
As for weight... I'm probably ditching somewhere around 300 lbs by going with the outboard.
I really don't think a 200 will give me any isues, my bosses 20' mirrocraft has a 225 4 stroke yamaha and a 15 hp 4 stroke kicker on the transom.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's the one good thing these Stringer Drives leave behind, two big fat alum stringers. With a little fab work you can make that transom bomber strong!