78 70hp Evinrude, Need to bump choke to accelerate, don't like to idle or go slow??

propmonster

Cadet
Like the title says, the engine starts great, runs great at mid range and full throttle, but from an idle when I try to accelerate it will bog and die unless I bump the choke then it will take off and go great. Also if I try to go slow down the river (no wake speed) it sounds like it drops a cylinder on and off then acts like it loads up and wants to quit, but the odd thing is if again i bump the choke it will go. This is what I have done so far, rebuilt fuel pump, all new gas lines, cleaned tank, new bulb and hose and cleaned carbs very well. I need help! this makes it a big pain in the butt to pull skiers or run the river. Thanks for any in put.....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 78 70hp Evinrude, Need to bump choke to accelerate, don't like to idle or go slow

By bumping the choke you are adding fuel, sounds like you still have some carb problems. When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the core plugs on top of the carbs and clean the passages underneith?

propmonster

Cadet
Re: 78 70hp Evinrude, Need to bump choke to accelerate, don't like to idle or go slow

I did not remove core plugs, was not aware there were pessages below it. I believe I have it narrowed down to the top cylinder, shut it down after it was sputtering and that plug was wet. I will get some new plugs and get that area clean and see what happens, thanks!