Serial Number Gone (1989 Force 125) Any Way To Cross Reference??(Need to Register)

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello IBOATS!

This is my first post. I've been searching these forumns for quite some time about different subjects and have answered just about all of them! So, first off, thank you to everyone who takes their time to share your knowledge!

OK, so I recently purchased a 1985 Bayliner Capri 19' Cuddy and so far everything is looking OK. It has a 1989 force 125 on it (I have model # but Im at work right now) and the spot where the serial goes (left side of motor when looking from back) on the transom mount is completely worn off...All I see is the word VOID. I live in RI where I have to register my outboard (dont need title, just register it) and the previous owner did not register the motor.

My questions are:Is there any way to cross reference a different number in the engine to find out the serial number of the engine itself?

Do I even need the correct serial number to give to the DEM to register this or can I take any number off the block and use it as the serial?

Again, this is for registration not insurance purposes so I am not sure if the DEM actually does a check to see if the serial is valid or not. I want to be legit about everything when I get out there so I would apreciate any input.

Has anyone ever made up a serial number to give for registration purposes and had (or not had) any issues?
And finally, can I "borrow" a serial number fom a parts motor to use on mine or would this cause any issues (bill of sale from Previous Owner etc.)

I have searched alredy and have only found out the location of where the number should be but, nothing about possible ways to get around this if it isn't present.

Thanks in advance!
Pete

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Serial Number Gone (1989 Force 125) Any Way To Cross Reference??(Need to Register

Thread bump.
Hi guys...trying to get this registered today (took day out of work) so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Serial Number Gone (1989 Force 125) Any Way To Cross Reference??(Need to Register

Might help. My ID plate is located on the lower cowl under the carbs. where the cables and fuel line enter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If the sticker is gone that's the only place the #s are.
Your motor,is it blue or white?
They got rid of the metal tag in the cowl in the early eighties.
I ask about the color because if it's white it might be the original motor.
Original? You can contact Bayliner and they have the motor and trailer ID's in their files.

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor is actually a 1989...not original to the boat which is an 85. I found the small sticker with the model # on the block so I cross referenced and it's an 89. Do you guys know if the DEM will actually have a database to register the motor?....In other words, if I register the motor with a phony # would they know the difference?....I could either use the same format as serial #'s from that year and just make one up or I can use a number on the block that I know is not the serial number because the format is way off. i was thinking of using this and playing dumb but I didnt know if they have a database to lookup the numbers and can tell its not a force serial.
I wish I didnt have to fudge it like this but they make this crap so difficult...not to mention Force was horrible with the placement of this thing.
The DEM says if I can find another # in the engine compartment that can be directly linked to the serial then I can get it inspected by them and have the number reissued but I dont know if any other number exists.