Tilt/Trim connections for 1989 johnson 60hp

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
boat 040.jpgPTT.jpgI rigged this motor on a boat that had an older Johnson, the relays look to be setup for the two wire system. My main question is regarding the connects from the motor, specfically what does this 5-pin plug connect to on the other end if i can find that wire and are there any other power connections for the PTT. Thanks

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tilt/Trim connections for 1989 johnson 60hp

the boat was originally setup with a 1977 johnson with a remote relay box, which has it's own power cords.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so are the relays in the schematic inside the cowling somewhere? If so then i assume my external relay box can be bypassed and just connect my red/green/blue from the controls directly to the 5-pin plug. Thanks

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the 1989 model has the relays next to the terminal bar.
RegulatorMounted.jpg
Note that your engine probably has the original round rectifier.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

awesome, looking forward to trying this and much simpler than i expected. However i do have one question/concern - should the engine mounted switch work at all times? Currently it does not so I may have another issue somewhere to diagnose.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the up/down keys on the engine work as long there is 12V from the battery. Mine were corroded when I got the engine. So I cut the key housing apart with a sharp knife, cleaned/greased the contacts and glued it together with 2-component epoxy glue. Still works and you can't see anything when the keys are mounted.
The keys should contact red <=> blue and red <=> green.