mercruiser pre alpha tilt/trim help

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
trim gauge pegged in up position, pump / bottons. all work fine -- any way to test sending units ?and gauge , i would assume a voltmeter ? also port side is the up side ? do not know thats why i am asking thanks i-boats

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercruiser pre alpha tilt/trim help

Pump operations and the gauge are completely independent. All that's in the gauge circuit is the gauge and the sender on the port side of the gimbal ring, and the sender is just a variable resistor. The gauge acts as an ammeter. If you want to test the gauge, just unplug the sender connectors at the back of the engine., ground the gauge side of them and the gauge should show full down. If it does, the sender and its associated wires are the problem, if the gauge doesn't move, investigate why not...

Circuit looks like this --- purple wire from the key ON side goes to the gauge (supplies 12V), brown/white goes to one side of the sender, black on the other side of the sender goes to ground.... The black on the back of the gauge is the ground for the gauge light, nothing else. Simple...

Chris.......