What's everyone using as a boarding ladder or swim platform on their old Starcrafts?

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just curious what different boarding ladders or swim platforms everyone is using on their old Starcrafts? (post your pics)

I am about to install a new/used swim platform on my 1966 Starcraft Jupiter. It was removed from a brand new boat since the buyer wanted something better. I bought it from the boat dealer hoping it would work for my Jupiter. It seems to fit perfectly. I will know for sure after I finish replacing the transom.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What's everyone using as a boarding ladder or swim platform on their old Starcraf

Not trying to change your mind but. I've used those small platforms from my past. It always felt like lifting your butt was the same as pulling up the bottom of the ocean... Shook the boat usually pretty well.

My Dad got one of these on his 21.5. The ladder stores inside and the mount is about a 3 inch wide 4 inch long bracket. The ladder slides in about 2 feet down. Making it a nice gradual step out of the water.
http://www.easternmarine.com/ss-dive-boat-ladder-dl-3x

Not sure yet if I want to change what I currently have to this or not. I know it won't be this year if I do decide to get that diver ladder.

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What's everyone using as a boarding ladder or swim platform on their old Starcraf

If I may bring something up not related to the thread but popped into my head after reading the title.

Its a safety issue and not too many know about it.

Coming from the Bass tournament community anglers falling overboard and not being able to climb back aboard has claimed lives.

Bass boats are hard enough to get back in, not to mention these high gunnel auminums we have..

A great technique is to climb on the back of your outboard and cling on and manually raise the trim to assist you out of the water

Ofcourse I/O and non trim/tilt outboards would be useless but its a good thing to have in your memory bank if you ever falll overboard on a windy day and you have high gunnels or can't pull yourself out.

Sorry for the off topic comment but I ike to share that for anyone who may not have heard about it

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

That's a nice little platform, the ladder looks like it telescopes also. I'm going to do something similiar, probably buy the brackets and make the platform. I think I can get my hands on some starboard.....

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a nice little platform, the ladder looks like it telescopes also. I'm going to do something similiar, probably buy the brackets and make the platform. I think I can get my hands on some starboard.....

The ladder does telescope to 24".
I also plan on installing a grab rail on the gunwale (gunnel) just forward of the cleat to help with boarding the boat. I have 4 grab rails on one of my parts boats ('93 Chaparral 1900SLC) so that won't cost anything.

IMG_1843.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got this one for my SS http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=19536

My Jupiter had this sweet homemade deal made from a cut and hinged stepladder and homemade brackets. Worked really well!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/DSCF1926.jpg

I liked that homemade stepladder setup. I would have rounded the corners off a little though or I would end up slicing myself on the edge.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

My tub came with one from the factory. Just needs some new wood and mount.
0612121601.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I liked that homemade stepladder setup. I would have rounded the corners off a little though or I would end up slicing myself on the edge.

I was EXTREMELY worried about that. I bought a set of those big rubber end caps you put on ladders to help it's grip (or keep it from damaging stuff) and put those on the ends there whenever the ladder was in use.

barato2

Commander

very good plan to work from, EZ.....i figure the statistical likleihood is that eventually every sharp edge in a boat will collect some blood and every sharp 90 degree edge a knee or 2. Murphy is everyone's first mate, or at least disgruntled galley slave. i've added trim some places primarily for that reason.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

That swim platform is awesome. What kind of boat did it come off of? After a weekend of pullling kids around on tubes it became quickly clear how important a ladder or platform is. I am in the market!

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That swim platform is awesome. What kind of boat did it come off of? After a weekend of pullling kids around on tubes it became quickly clear how important a ladder or platform is. I am in the market!

It was removed from a Tidewater center console. It looks like it will work good on my Starcraft Jupiter.

tidewater19b.jpg

Last edited:

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the teak wood version on my Sunchief now, only has one step and it needs two. The only problem is the height of the platform, as it is at the water level and I can feel it pounding while sitting still do to wave action. In my photo you can see the home made version of the cut off section of an old extension ladder. When down it was at an 30 deg angel to aid getting into the boat with full SCUBA gear on. The ladder finally gave out due to use and side motion while down.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...lar/LD2004.jpg

Last edited:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was something you use a lot and you do not want it constantly in the water the single pole dive ladders and mounts are clean looking and minimal holes around the water line. Also the only time it adds stress to the transome is when a person uses the ladder. Add the fact that they are stronger than the platforms, go deeper into the water to make getting back onto the boat easier. It just seems like one of the best options.

I'll currently keep my teak platform but the first sign of struggle with me getting back in the boat (as I am tall and lanky), I'll be looking to swap that out for an easy to use single pole diver ladder.

As far as falling in is concerned with the inability of getting back inside the boat. You can tow the boat to the shore and then get back inside... Also I stress the need of having a boat buddy. Someone to drink with and corroborate the fish stories about a 15lb large mouth... 30lb walleye... etc.

64osby

Admiral

I made this up from a salvaged one from an old fg boat. Added the upper deck and non slip on the transom cap, which works really nice.

StarcraftLadder2.jpg

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I made this up from a salvaged one from an old fg boat. Added the upper deck and non slip on the transom cap, which works really nice.

StarcraftLadder2.jpg

I really like that set up. I was planning on adding a platform over the splash well area also but was not sure how I was going to mount it. You just gave me some ideas.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A good one, 64. You made normally useless space useful.

BonairII

Commander

Just installed my swim platform the other day. We went swimming today...it was def a great addition to the boat. The rear casting deck becomes the rear DIVING deck when we're swimming. :D
c7a6f1e7.jpg

f8f13505.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real nice work 64osby.