1965 75hp evinrude electric shift blowing fuze

ckupiec

Recruit
I have a 1965 75hp evinrude with electric shift that keeps blowing the main fuse when I put it in reverse! HELP! Also, should water be blowing out the exhaust hole? I need to do a compression check on the cylinders but I'm wondering if I have a blown head gasket. I rebuilt the water pump is pumping fine but still overheating?

ckupiec

Recruit
Re: 1965 75hp evinrude electric shift blowing fuze

may I also add to this that my 60 year old father just bought this and asked me to get it running for him. I've been through the carbs and got them cleaned and working properly. this is my first electric shift, treading on newgrounds. from what I understand there's cylinoide in the gearbox. does anyone have a diagram?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The most common cause of a short in the shift wires is when they get smashed between sections when putting it back together after changing the water pump. Diagrams for the engine can be found at marineengine.com

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also have a shorted out reverse coil in the lower unit.

ckupiec

Recruit

I took the lowerend apart opened the gearbox , both the forward and reverse coils where showing connectivity with thier housing. Is that supposed to be like that? Both had an ohm reading of 8.5. Honestly this was my first electric shift, I was expecting solinoids to be in there.

yorab

Ensign

No, you won't find solenoids in there. You should have a resistance reading somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.5. I don't have my books with me so I can't give you the exact answer. Either somebody else can give you the correct reading, or simply search for "75hp". You'll get a lot of hits. Which main fuse are you talking about? The 60 amp fuse in the junction box?

ckupiec

Recruit

I got the gearbox all back together replace the 2 connectors on top and everything seems to work just fine. I fired it upforward and reverse are working now. I did though find a hose under the intake manifold that was blowing air and gas out a small hole. I still can't figure why they would have a hose blowing air and gas under the intake going around the power head and coming in under the heads? my only problem now is, after half throttle the engine dies in gear. it will throttle up in neutral just not in gear.

yorab

Ensign

Can you post a pic of that hose? I believe that you are referring to the hose that sends unburnt fuel/oil back to the intake manifold. I'm not sure what you mean when you say it blows out a small hole. Your hose should not have holes in it. If so, replace it.

ckupiec

Recruit

now that you mention that line that's what it is I did replace it. it's still not running above idol. I just found a place in tulsa that can order me a fuel pump kit for $28. it will be here monday afternoon so will see if that'll fix this. I really appreciate the guidance! Im trying to upload a picture