77 evinrude 25 hp. 1 cylinder only

Marqui

Cadet
Well I confirmed that this poor thing is running on only one cylinder. I thought it was kind of sluggish last weekend at the lake. Brought it back home put it in the barrel. Started fine, idles kind of rough, pulled spark plug wire on cylinder no.1 and little to no change. Pulled plug wire on no.2 cylinder and it just dies. Swaped plugs and same results. Swaped coils same results. So I did a compression test, pretty dead even on both cylinder between 110 and 115. Plug on no.1 cylinder is wet when pulled. I don't have a spark tester but I will say that when I pulled the plug wire on that cylinder it did jump a good half inch if not 3/4 inches and anough juice to go throug my insulated pliers and PVC gloves and give me a good jolt. I'm not sure where to go from here, could this be caused by a bad power pack?

Model number is 25702 - 3
Plugs gapped @ .030. QL77JC4
Fresh fuel
Rebuilt Carb

Any help is appreciated.
Marqui

BonairII

Commander
Re: 77 evinrude 25 hp. 1 cylinder only

you probably can switch the wires on the PP to see if the non-firing cyl will fire. If it does then PP is prob bad.

Make sure the connection to the "bad" cyl is squeaky clean....a small amount of corrosion can cause the cyl NOT to fire. Would suck to buy new PP only to find out it was a bad connection.

Marqui

Cadet

Thanks I'll give that a look see.

Does anyone know if power packs can be bench tested by marine shops?

BonairII

Commander

You can test it yourself with a DVA adapter. It plugs right into a multimeter.

Marqui

Cadet

Where could I get a DVA adapter?