Carb dip preferences

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi gang i I am needing to renew my gallon bucket of carb cleaner. I was wondering what everyones recomendations were as far as brand cleaner that they prefer.I current dip bucket is berrymans, but to me it doesnt seem to get the job done like I think it should.

thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Carb dip preferences

I buy the NAPA labeled cleaner and it works fine.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I was using oil based paint thinner. Removes the varnish pretty good.
The last few times i've been using Pine-Sol. I got the tip off the web. It seems to do the job and its cheap.

foodfisher

Captain

Any aerosol carb cleaner with a straw. Slam dunk. Just don't dip and wait. That stuff will turn any plastic or rubber to mush. Berryman's is what I used w/no probs. Pressurized will clean the smallest clog then air blow. Don't have enough knowledge to understand the need to soak.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any aerosol carb cleaner with a straw. Slam dunk. Just don't dip and wait. That stuff will turn any plastic or rubber to mush. Berryman's is what I used w/no probs. Pressurized will clean the smallest clog then air blow. Don't have enough knowledge to understand the need to soak.

Yep,
My factory manual states to never submerge the carb in cleaner. Spray only.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I know this sounds out there but white vinegar is the best cleaner i have seen.

Could use white vinegar to soak and soften salt formations including crusts found inside crank case, cylinder head water passages when changing head gaskets, for cleaning gumed carbs specially 2 strokes, acrylic thinner works very well and don't need to soak carb that long.

Happy Boating

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Berryman's is what I used w/no probs. Pressurized will clean the smallest clog then air blow. Don't have enough knowledge to understand the need to soak.

Me too. Not only does it get the gunk out; really bad takes awhile to soak loose, but it leaves a clean finish. I have used the Gunk brand dip can and it leaves residue that I don't like. Course I could take the Berrymans and spray it off when finished.

Mark

robert graham

Admiral

I've read some folks have gone from soaking carbs in solvent to the ultrasonic cleaners...might be worth checking into?;)