can i pick your brains please

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice
hi i have a 1955 johnson QD-16 10hp outboard and i am trying to switch it over to a single line fuel line. Ok so here i go i have gotten a fuel pump you can see it in one of the pictures i have the middle line hooked up to the old fitting that pushed pressure into the tank i have used JB weld to seal up the hole the website plugged
http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Pressureized Fuel Tanks.htm
and i have rigged up my old pressure tank for the new hose as you can see in the pics
Ok so here is whats happening i use the pressure plunger to prime the hose and fill the lines then i start it and it fires up but it soon revs up and dies.
i can keep it going if i push on the plunger every 10-20 seconds and keep the fuel pressure up

do you think my fuel lines are to thin?
could it be the tank?
is the fuel pump to big (needs more pressure to pump enough fuel)?
what do you guys think it could be ?

thank you in advance

IMG_3400.jpgIMG_3401.jpgIMG_3402.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: can i pick your brains please

Have you checked the fuel pump pressure/flow from the fuel pump?
I think you are going to have to use a single line tank with the check valves in the primer bulb, which will require a new style connector on the engine.

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

it is pumping out quite a bit of fuel when i pull the pull start rope with the hose detached
the connector on the engine is the new style i didn't think about the check valve in the primer bulb that would make the fuel not be able to go backwards at all and would keep the fuel going forward thats a definite thing to install
thank you

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Keep us informed on your progress.

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

i just ordered a primer bulb should be here in a few days

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

update i installed a primer bulb and ... now it wont start at all
it is going the right direction. and all my connections are good

any ideas?
thank you in advance

jbjennings

Captain

I don't understand. For $26 you could have totally rebuilt your pressure tank correctly, and never have needed a fuel pump. Your pressure tank is not vented--one problem. If the jb weld has held and is still blocking only one hole on the check valve under the intake, and your fuel lines are run correctly to and from the pump, it should work fine. If there is fuel pulsing out the line going to the carb when you pull the starter cord, then the problem lies elsewhere. I have a motor that uses that exact B&S pump, and it works fine.
Good luck,
JBJ

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

i think it is a bad plug wire i will replace it when it gets cooler today

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

ok so it was a bad plug wire now i have good spark on both cylinders and it ran about 1 sec then i noticed that there was fuel in the presure line and it would go tward the pump when i pulled the rope but then while i was still pulling it would go back tward the motor so i pulled the carb and plates off and i wondered if i was supposed to put the little ruber stopers back on 0-0 to stop the draw from the piston. so i reinstalled that peice and it ran about 2 min in the tank then died now i noticed one time when it sputtered that there was a leak in the seal between the plates also i noticed there was fuel coming out of the screen on the side of the pump is that ok or not i dont think it would be very safe to run with the cover on.
what do you guys think

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

thank you i have seen these i just ordered the 2 gaskets for it and they will be here soon.i have good compression and spark and the pump is pushing gas so i think it is the gaskets what do you think about the pump and gas coming out of the screen

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

ok hello again i replaced the gaskets and have checked the spark and the points gap and the plug wires also cannot see or hear any
gas/air leaks my pump is pumping also i cleaned the carb and made sure that everything was working in there and still it acts like its not getting enough gas when i pump the primer bulb it stops in the carb when the float moves it runs hi idol and clean ( no sputtering, kicking, revving )then it hiccups and then acts like its running out of gas and reeves then stalls/dies also after it dies i can pump the primer bulb a few times like it just used the fuel pumped into the carb.

do you think my float may be sticking?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Try running the engine with the gas cap off or loose. The tank needs a vent when using a one line setup. Suck on a soda bottle to see what happens? No air in - no fuel out.

nwcove

Admiral

have you tried pumping the bulb when it starts to act up? that should over ride the pump . and why are you trying to use the old pressure tank after the conversion? get a single line tank ! i would also suspect the type of line you are using for the pulse to the pump...it could be collapsing under vacuum and not letting the pump work.

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

i did get a single line tank i haven't updated the pic when i pump the bulb it continues to run. i tried the pump with the carb line off the carb and pulled it over a few times and nothing came out. i took the pump apart and the thin plastic washers and pump things were oiley and rinkled up there was fuel in the pulse line could that ruin the pump internal parts?

nwcove

Admiral

your pump may have become victim to ethanol? you can still bypass the pump for barrel testing purposes by connecting the fuel line from the tank directly to the the feed to the carb, and setting the tank up on something higher than the carb. ( gravity feed). it will at least let you run the motor in a barrel ! other than that you may need to find an ethanol rated pump.

helokittylovr

Seaman Apprentice

should i just block off the pulse port and put in a port into one of the side plates and get my pulse from there?

nwcove

Admiral

thats the way you should have done it from the start on that motor, the smaller motors dont give you the option. i dont know if you will need to undo what you have done behind the carb tho, to make it work right.