Water leaks

David8333

Recruit
I have a 1989 Invader 16.5' tri-hull boat that water has been leaking in somehow between the inside hull and under the floor. I first thought that it must have a crake in the hull so I fiberglassed and gelcoated anything and everything that looked like a crack and the water is still getting in. The boat does have a seam that is covered with molding that runs all the way around the boat, I think this is the seam were the boat is put together. My question is could the water be entering from this seam even if it is way above the water line also, when it rains could the rain water running off the boat be entering this seam. I raised the front of the boat up (approx. 5 feet) and about 3 or 4 gallons of water ran out the drain hole, now since most of the water is gone how can I dry it out? Thank you for your help solving this problem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water leaks

Water should not normally be getting into the boat via the rubrail seam. Can you put an inch of water in the boat and see if it can leak out and show you the leak? If the foam under the floow is wet, the floor will need to be ripped out and new foam and floor installed.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Water leaks

I have a 1989 Invader 16.5' tri-hull boat that water has been leaking in somehow between the inside hull and under the floor. I first thought that it must have a crake in the hull so I fiberglassed and gelcoated anything and everything that looked like a crack and the water is still getting in. The boat does have a seam that is covered with molding that runs all the way around the boat, I think this is the seam were the boat is put together. My question is could the water be entering from this seam even if it is way above the water line also, when it rains could the rain water running off the boat be entering this seam. I raised the front of the boat up (approx. 5 feet) and about 3 or 4 gallons of water ran out the drain hole, now since most of the water is gone how can I dry it out? Thank you for your help solving this problem.

David, it is entirely possible for water intrusion at the seam. Put the boat out in bright sunlight and see if you can see daylight along the seam. If necessary, pull the rubrail and use a high quality caulk to seal up suspect areas.

Also, check all hull-thru fittings for leaks and remedy any possible leakers. Check all hose fittings for tight connections and all hoses for cracks...replace as necessary.