zink replacement prop shaft cavity

byrohoe

Recruit
Hello from Kennewick wa, first time post. my 88 OMC the zink inside the prop shaft cavity is about 50% gone. I am finding in order to replace it I must split the drive. The drive is fine and I would rather not split it. I will be sailing down the columbia to Ilwaco and leaving my boat in brakish/salt water for a few months for off shore salmon/tuna season. Any one know of a easy fix? could I just bolt a zink to the fin? Thanks for any help Byron

cr2k

Captain
Re: zink replacement prop shaft cavity

I don't know of having to split the housing it wouldn't help the prop shaft cavity is not splitable. Does it not come off with a few screws from behind the prop?

byrohoe

Recruit
Re: zink replacement prop shaft cavity

Thanks for the reply, It apears to me that the prop shaft and the housing it rest in would just pull out with the use of a slide hammer. however when looking at the manual it showes the upper and lower cases split and mentions to push down with a tool thru the shift shaft guide in order to allow removal of the prop shaft assmby. I am asking these questions because I hate to start banging away with a slide hammer if I first must release something. the manual is a bit vauge. Byron:redface: