No high end on Force 40 hp

I took my boat out this morning and the motor idled and shifted into gear now (it didn't until I cleaned the carb) but when it is just about to go on plane, the motor boggs way down and i don't have any high-end, just low and mid. I re-did the fuel pump and cleaned the carb and replaced the float. The float looks different though, it is all plastic instead of the one with a metal plate on it.

Is this most likely a fuel issue or could it be something else? I suspect my timing isn't right because my dad messed with it. Thanks for the help, I'm in a little over my head...

Re: No high end on Force 40 hp

Okay, so here's the deal: I checked the spark today. The spark jumped 1/4"to the block on each plug so that is good. I went through the carb again with cleaner and put it back together. The way the float instructions say to properly put it back in is so the float hangs down all the way when the bowl is not under it, but when I do it that way there is no travel for the float to drop and open the needle properly (or so it seems). The float number I got is 891730A01 and my serial number is OE064165. That is the correct float, right?? It just looks different from the one I had on it before.

I ordered a new bowl gasket, needle and seat but I'm not sure it will fix the problem. It seems like the motor is not getting enough gas. It takes quite a bit to get it going, and then it runs fine, then if it kills it might not start up again. Anybody have any ideas what it could be? I have 124 pounds in each cylinder, so compression is good. I'm still stumped. Thanks,

Brian

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Post some pics of the float.
MOST kits are crap.It's best to reuse the old stuff.
Check the fuel pump diaphram.Check the jets for blockage.
TINY,TINY holes could be blocked???
The pics show the right float(black) and the float level.
The drop should be just about touching while it's hanging down.(no pic)

Picture 010.jpgPicture 008.jpg

Jerry, my float looks like the white one you posted above. Seems like my original had a larger single tab on a 90 instead of the two smaller tabs on the new one. Also, the old float had a metal plate on it that the needle rested on. I broke the other float like a dummy and had to order this new one. On the instructions it says to install the float so that it falls down completely vertical and the needle can drop out, but when I do it seems there is no "travel" for the needle to properly open up. When I put the float on the other way, it will not fall completely away but will swing down then stop, and it also allows the needle to drop away from the seat on low bowl fuel level (I think this is the correct way despite what the instructions say). I changed the fuel pump and verified it is working. Ordered new needle/seat and bowl gasket. Should I change the seat along with the needle?

Okay, so I fished the LCI (Lake Champlain International fishing derby) this weekend after "fixing" the starter which worked fine two days in the driveway. I also pulled the carb apart and cleaned it again by spraying cleaner into the orifaces. I had it running in the driveway, but when I was at medium rpm's there was gas pumping out of the overflow of the bowl on the carb.

I decided not to use the 40 on the derby and went with my 4 hp 1973 Johnson. The wind was whipping so hard out there on Monday that I could only go 1 mph into the wind and I was creeping in so I tried to fire up the 40 hp but the starter that worked fine wouldn't crank the motor :facepalm:. I put a rope on the flywheel to assist and the motor fired up. I had no high end on the motor before, but now the motor went full bore and I could see fuel pooling up in the intake, but it is being sucked into the motor and not leaking at that speed. When I backed down to medium rpm's fuel would shoot in spurts out of the bowl vent. At WOT the bowl vent does not leak. What is going on with my carb? I put a new float on it, could that be the culprit? I have a starter motor, bowl gasket, and needle valve/seat on order from ********** but they keep pushing back my ship date:mad:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That white float is probably the problem.
Not leaking at full? It's probably using all it can get.
Keep looking till you get the right parts.Don't change the seat unless your sure it's the EXACT SAME THING!!!!
Year? Serial#?

Float.jpg This is a brass version of the white plastic float that originally was in my carb. Will this one be okay or should I try to find the exact one that came off it? I have the white one like Jerry posted above. The carb started acting up when I installed it, though.