Beware Seasense Dual Drive Winch

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The keeper that maintains the pawl position on the Seasense Dual Drive boat trailer winch is located in such a way that a slight lateral force can cause it to jam in the gears. When this happens, the winch is rendered useless until the pawl assembly is taken apart and the now bent keeper is removed from the gears.

Another issue is the latch on the strap hook is too long. On two different boats, the latch had to be trimmed down to enable the hook to fit on to the bow eye and have the latch close. It's a tedious job.

I don't want to sound like I have an axe to grind, I have one of these installed on my Sea Ray cuddy's trailer and it has given good service, but in the last year I have seen two of these winches fail in the manner described above. To be on the safe side, I'm going to replace the winch on my Sea Ray, despite it being only two years old.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Beware Seasense Dual Drive Winch

Good info.
I am wary of just about everything that says Seasense or ShipyardMarine on it.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I forgot to mention that these winches are also sold under the Bass Pro label. Same product.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at getting a new winch for my boat. Was looking at my Bass Pro shop. Not now.