naples fl bait fish

twebb

Seaman Apprentice
Where is the best place to get bait fish in naples fl. I lunch at bayview park and collier blvd. New to fishing and trying to spend time with my son. But all we ever catch is catfish. thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: naples fl bait fish

Buy yourself a few Sabiki rigs in different sizes to catch all the bait you'll need.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Daii...Acc_Rigs|USA&rid=20&Ntt=sabiki+rigs&WTz_l=PPC

Put a 1 oz. weight on the bottom and bait each hook with a tiny piece of shrimp or squid, drop the rig straight down around bridge, pier, and dock pilings. If you don't get a bite within the first 30 seconds move to another piling. You'll have nearly as much fun catching the bait as you will fishing for bigger fish. Set your drag kind of light because big fish have been known to hit a Sabiki rig too.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I assume you meant, launch at those locations. Going out of Bayview run out of Gordon's Pass and straight to the tripod, it gets hit alot but there's usually bait there, get a cast net if you don't have one, sabikis work but are time consuming. You can also run straight west from there to the Cuban, it's a wreck that holds bait, it's a bout 3 or 4 miles out. Further south it's hit or miss, look for birds or schools of fish busting on the surface, run and gun.

twebb

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, i know where the tripod is. Ill give it a shot. Where tired of buying shrimp and only catching catfish.
Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the walmarts in Florida also have sabiki rigs and cast nets. both good for getting pinheads. it takes a bit of practice on the cast nets, however you will get it.

good bait is shrimp, or pinheads. change your fishing spot if your only catching catfish. I usually get sheepshead, grunts, grouper, flounder and mullet on shrimp

are you fishing from shore, or from a boat?

capt sam

not sure what a pinhead is, we do have pinfish that you can use as bait but preferrably we use menhaden, white bait, green backs. You'll need a bigger net, 8' or 10' I prefer a 1/4" mesh, get proficient at it, throwing on structure takes skill to not hang up a net.
Whether you use shrimp or bait fish, go into Port Royal specifically the first large bay on the northside, those docks and small bays hold alot of tarpon and snook on the docks as does Bayview, fish over by the fuel pump dock, you'll catch alot more than catfish there.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

your right. my daughter calls them pinheads.... guess the name stuck in my head.

capt sam

yeah I figured, everyone has a different name for the same bait fish here, I usually just call it bait, lol.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

we use chicken gizzads in a net bag for crabbing...... and cheep butterfly nets and snorkles for scalloping