Need To Pull Flywheel On Swedish 4HP Outboard

Grain Boat

Seaman
SBM 3.9 HP Outboard.jpgSBM Flywheel.jpgI recently had this motor walk into my shop. It's an air-cooled SBM 4HP made in Uppsala Sweden in the 70's. Has a Bing carb and a direct drive shaft (i.e. no reverse). Just like the old OMC motors, you rotate it 180 degrees to get moving backwards. Seems to be in pretty decent overall condition, however no sparky. Can't tell if the points are opening through the holes in the top of the flywheel so I wanna pull the flywheel. This flywheel appears to be threaded onto the crank, rather than a typical woodruff key installation. Any of you old salts know of a tool or method to get this flywheel off? I can lock up the piston by stuffing starter rope into the spark plug hole. I tried a strap wrench using judicious force on the apparently right-hand thread. No luck, but no damage yet.I can also access the point adjuster screws through the installed flywheel, but am clueless about the settings. It looks pretty clean inside with some beefy looking primary and secondary coils so I'm thinking somebody fiddled with it and the points are just not opening. Suggestions?

Floatingtrader

Recruit
Re: Need To Pull Flywheel On Swedish 4HP Outboard

hi i bought the same motor last weekend, and had the same problem.i used two large spanners either side of the fly wheel and hit the bolt with a hammer after two or three wacks it poped off, the engine is a crescent 4 hp idenitcal to yours i cleaned the contacts and the magnets and off she went, not bad for a 40 year old. points were set at the distance that the off set cam on the fly wheel approx 1.5 mm
good luck with yours all the way from sunny England Dave