will a Honda BF5 plain my boat ?

andrewt12

Cadet
Okay so i've made up my mind and im picking up a HondaBF5 for my inflatable boat, but the thing i want to figure out is if it will plain out my 8'8" aquamarine boat. I really don't want to be runing it with the nose stuck up in the air (thats why im repowering in the first place). So if anyone knows if my boat will plain out with this motor or has the motor and a smiliar boat please let me know before i pick up my motor next friday ! thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: will a Honda BF5 plain my boat ?

To plain or plane definitely not, with a well inflated sib and you wanting to be part as bow mask probably yes. The 5 will take you there but a at a non planing speed, it's a small hull with high drag to break the initial inertia. A 5 will plane much easier a larger boat than a shorter one. Will depend also if boating solo and if you happen to be a light feather weight champ or with more passengers.

If you could test that enigine before buying would be perfect, if so, make a wot test on water. Better pick at least a 8 HP engine could come handy if in near future you are updating to next size sib, other nice alternatives could be Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury in that size.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

With the boat properly inflated, the engine positioned correctly on the hull, it will plane 200 lbs of hooman.

andrewt12

Cadet

To plain or plane definitely not, with a well inflated sib and you wanting to be part as bow mask probably yes. The 5 will take you there but a at a non planing speed, it's a small hull with high drag to break the initial inertia. A 5 will plane much easier a larger boat than a shorter one. Will depend also if boating solo and if you happen to be a light feather weight champ or with more passengers.

If you could test that enigine before buying would be perfect, if so, make a wot test on water. Better pick at least a 8 HP engine could come handy if in near future you are updating to next size sib, other nice alternatives could be Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury in that size.

Happy Boating
Thought about what you said and picking up either a BF8 four stroke, Yamaha 8hp fourstroke or a Yamaha 6hp 2- Stroke in an hour or so !! I'm getting one of these because i can also use in as a kicker for my bigger boat ! I'll let you guys know what i get ! thanks