Good GPS to find property lines

dolluper

Captain
Well I have to locate some property lines in some real deep bush......150 acres in some marsh like conditions
So nothing fancy needed just something that would work on calculated corindates hand held with some battery life ..since I'm walking a few miles through some thick ST......nice spelling eh lol's
Any cheapo suggestions.....thanks

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Good GPS to find property lines

i was a land surveyor prior to the depression, had to take some classes, any cheap gps is only going to get you within several meters, the gps we use surveying has to be tied into static points, we take 3 static units set them up over points on the ground mark the time of day and let them run so as they have all run together for an hour at least, then we send off for true coordinates from the government during that time span as they move them around so they can't be used against us by other countries military, we have to rotate in true coordinates to our points on the ground, then when we stake property lines we have to set a base station on one of the points only then can we take a gps rover unit to one of the other ground points to lock in , and then check in to the other ground point before staking any lines accuratly i would not build any fences or take any expensive trees out based on lines staked any other way, we did use a hand held to find the job site a garmin i believe

dolluper

Captain

10 feet off would be fine with me ....close on that size would work......just want a good idea where the lines are aproximents fine as right now the locals are trying to snow me by 1200 feet I.m sure

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Any old handheld will get you within 3 feet these days. Even better the more satellites you get and if you get a WAAS signal. I have both a Garmin and Delorme.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

+/- 6' is what the government limits consumer use to. the military and USGS get the good units that are +/- a few inches.

I recommend a simple garmin hand held

dolluper

Captain

The Garmin etrex 10 looks like one I could use.....the new one is just over 100 bones.....just wondering..or dumb about this unit....I could still manually enter the target co-ordinate into this unit....No or Yes......Ifin yes how do you do it......I want a unit that will allow me to manually enter the target info.......don't know if this unit does duh....quit laughing eh

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I think that if the property was ever surveyed after 1970+-??? they should have used metal spikes as corner markers, you could also use a metal detector to find the spikes in that last 10+- square M area.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Yes, you can enter the Lat/Long coordinates manually. I mark a waypoint, then go in and edit it and change the coordinates to what I want.

dolluper

Captain

thanks wasn't sure I saw the waypoint but taught it was for geochasing with files you load from pc .....so basically you set the waypoint out in field like where your standing then change it it to desired co-ordinates.....have I got that right?

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or you can put in computer then upload into handheld. Do this when going to different fishing spots on lake. But sometimes I do it the old fashion way, SxT=d

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

+/- 6' is what the government limits consumer use to. the military and USGS get the good units that are +/- a few inches

The best current positioning data comes from at least 3 satellites in clear view (no clouds, no trees, etc.) and error coorection via the WAAS sattelites. This system was developed to support the use of GPS in aircraft and has been tested by the govt and found to be accurate within 1-1.5 meters when adequate time for data saturation is allowed.

A good GPS system will sample at no less than 5 times per sec, have WAAS capabilites and have the ability to store data for a sufficient amount of time. The handheld device really does little more than produce a screen display, it's the GPS chip that does all the work.

An inexpensive option for those that have notebook PC's or a iPad is the Garmin 18x gps reciever which can use Google Earth as a Cartography source. That system will get you within 5 meters reliably and closer if you're willing to let it sit stationary for 15 minutes at a time. Just remember that even if you do get it to within the 1-1.5 meter range thats the radius of the circle of error not the diameter. Double the distance and the best you can get in idealistic conditions is within roughly 6'.

Satellite based targeting data that is good down to an inch is not available via any public domain sattelite channels. It is an entirely different animal and shouldn't be confused with GPS. In reality its closer relative is the LTE and Loran families.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

There may be some hatch marks or chop cuts on trees along the property lines. Trees w 3 marks, mark corner irons in woods around here, N.C. You will need some fairly open canopy for most handheld gps I believe. I don't know about Canada but in most of the U.S. I believe you can download aerial photos w property lines on them from the County. They are not always super accurate but they could help get you closer in a remote area, if there are landmarks you can distinguish on the ground, openings, creeks, large trees etc. A metal detector would help too, maybe rent one?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

thanks wasn't sure I saw the waypoint but taught it was for geochasing with files you load from pc .....so basically you set the waypoint out in field like where your standing then change it it to desired co-ordinates.....have I got that right?

Exactly.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Dolluper, buddy!
Come on man up, wheres your compass and hip chain!! :D

mscher

Lieutenant

For 1200 feet, maybe hiring a surveyor, could be prudent move.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

There may be some hatch marks or chop cuts on trees along the property lines. Trees w 3 marks, mark corner irons in woods around here, N.C. You will need some fairly open canopy for most handheld gps I believe. I don't know about Canada but in most of the U.S. I believe you can download aerial photos w property lines on them from the County. They are not always super accurate but they could help get you closer in a remote area, if there are landmarks you can distinguish on the ground, openings, creeks, large trees etc. A metal detector would help too, maybe rent one?

a tree with 3 hacks may point to a corner within arms reach of the tree as a witness, 2 hacks at a tree facing an angle break in the line and 1 hack marks a tree on line

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Dolluper, buddy!
Come on man up, wheres your compass and hip chain!! :D

don't forget the plane table:D and formulas for calculating vertical angles, sag, and thermal expansion of the steel:facepalm: oh and allmost forgot curvature of the earth

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

I think that if the property was ever surveyed after 1970+-??? they should have used metal spikes as corner markers, you could also use a metal detector to find the spikes in that last 10+- square M area.

as recent as 2005 i have had corners fall in trees, we note the size and species, rocks we drill a hole or crosshatch with a chisel, and set concrete monuments at major boundary corners, or can be bilby towers in mangrove swamps in FL

rbh

Fleet Admiral

don't forget the plane table:D and formulas for calculating vertical angles, sag, and thermal expansion of the steel:facepalm: oh and allmost forgot curvature of the earth

Now your just getting picky!!:D