1978 Grady White 212 Chesapeake starting and stalling

peewizzzle

Cadet
I just bought a Grady White and it runs just fine out of water. But when we took it to the launch I had a little issue starting it I got it started and we went out. I stopped the boat to do some fishing and thats when it all happened. I went to start it and all it did was turn over seemed like it was goig to start then the starter started to spin like it started already but it didnt after an hour I got it started let it warm up and then as soon as I gave it throttle it would slam into gear and stall everytime i got it started and seemed like it would work it slammed and stalled any ideas??????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 Grady White 212 Chesapeake starting and stalling

What engine and drive. Type of boat means nothing.

peewizzzle

Cadet

Mercruiser 6cyl it's says 470 on the valve cover stern drive

peewizzzle

Cadet

Sorry I was told it was a 6

peewizzzle

Cadet

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be. Mercruser 3.7 4cyl 470 stern drive

Bondo

Staff member

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be. Mercruser 3.7 4cyl 470 stern drive

Ayuh,.... Sounds like it needs a tune up, compression test, carb rebuild, 'n a New lower shift cable....

rickryder

Commander

Ayuh,.... Sounds like it needs a tune up, compression test, carb rebuild, 'n a New lower shift cable....

And a repair manual to aid in all the above suggestions :D This way you will have all of the info you need to perform these tasks. We have links for the manuals on your engine and drive if you can provide the serial # from them ;)